Happy May, Asheville. 🌷If you’re anything like us, you’re looking forward to more sunny days, beautiful flowers, and being so close to summer — and with all that excitement, you’re also looking for fun local events to attend. Read on for all the top events happening this month in AVL.
All month long
- Support Asheville’s Queer Youth Prom | Now-Fri., June 3 | Virtual | Donations accepted | Asheville’s Queer Youth Prom, hosted by Youth OUTright, returns in-person this June after a two-year hiatus — donate to help the prom committee’s enchanted vision come to life.*
Sunday, May 1
- The Grey Eagle Classic Golf Tournament | Sun., May 1 | 2 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $600 | Register to participate in this team golf tournament benefit which raises money for Asheville Music School. ⛳️
- 3 Year Anniversary Celebration | Sun., May 1 | 12-7 p.m. | 12 Bones Brewing, 2350 Hendersonville Rd. | $20 | Celebrate 12 Bones Brewing with live music, beer brats from Ob-Skewered Food Truck, raffle prizes from local businesses, and draft pours of local beer.
- PATIO SHOW: Aaron “Woody” Wood | Sun., May 1 | 5 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $10 | Experience this American artist’s unique style of “Cosmic Appalachian Soul.”
- HardLox Jewish Festival | Sun., May 1 | 11-4 p.m. | Pack Square | Free | Satiate your stomach with Jewish culinary classics (and vegan versions, too) of matzoh ball soup, corned beef on rye, and bagels galore, while enjoying Israeli dancing, crafts, and Klezmer music.
- Parlor Bazaar Spring | Sun., May 1 | 10 a.m.-1 p.m. | Story Parlor, 227 Haywood Rd. | Free | Local makers and artisans come together to celebrate storytelling through crafts.
- Riverside Get Together | Sun., May 1 | 1-3 p.m. | High Five Coffee, 2000 Riverside Dr. | Free | Get some sunshine, listen to live music from Jake Wolf, and eat woodfired sourdough pizza from Snacks & Company.
- May Day Rally | Sun., May 1 | 2 p.m. | Pritchard Park, 67 Patton Ave. | Free | Come celebrate International Workers’ Day and join with the WNC Workers Assembly.
Monday, May 2
- Mental Health Webinar | Mon., May 2 | 4-5 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn from AdventHealth’s Dr. Garrett Hazelton about the trends mental health practitioners are seeing currently and how to manage stress.
Tuesday, May 3
- 2022 Sky High Growth Awards | Tues., May 3 | 4-6 p.m. | Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, 100 Sierra Nevada Way | $15 | Celebrate the growth and success of small businesses at this networking social + awards ceremony.
- WNC Prostate Support Group | Tues., May 3 | 7 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Find a community here and learn about testing, treatment, and how to manage side effects.
- Literacy Together Volunteer Orientation | Tues., May 3 | 6 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn how to help those struggling with literacy. 📚
- Members’ Recital | Tues., May 3 | 7:15 p.m. | St. John in the Wilderness, 1895 Greenville Hwy., Flat Rock | Free | Come listen to organ music by the Blue Ridge Chapter of the American Guild of Organists.
Wednesday, May 4
- Yak Attack | Wed., May 4 | 8:30 p.m. | Isis Music Hall, 743 Haywood Rd. | $12 | Dance to off-the-wall electronic music.
- Kathryn Miles in conversation with Ben Montgomery | Wed., May 4 | 6 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Get insight to Miles new book, Trailed: One Woman’s Quest to Solve the Shenandoah Murders.
- Smart Series: Everyone Knows Marketing Sucks | Wed., May 4 | 12-1 p.m. | Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, 36 Montford Ave. | Free for members, $15 for non-members | Learn how to market the smart and effective way with Sarah Benoit, the lead instructor of JB Media Institute.
- Fwuit! with Night Teacher | Wed., May 4 | 7:30-9:30 p.m. | White Horse Black Mountain, 105C Montreat Rd. | $15+ | Listen to the Asheville-based retro soul band, Fwuit! + Night Teacher, a mix of traditional folk with electro-pop, blues-rock, and Afro-Cuban rhythm.
- Money Visioning & Goal Setting | Wed., May 4 | 5:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Interactive online class focusing on money goals.
- TPDF Information Session | Wed., May 4 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | The Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority is hosting an Information Session for the Tourism Production Development Fund 2022 grant cycle.
Thursday, May 5
- 13th Annual Authors for Literacy | Thurs., May 5 | 6-9 p.m. | Crowne Plaza Resort Expo Center, 1 Resort Dr. | $95 | Support the program that helps people rise out of poverty and get better-paying jobs to support their families and listen to the keynote speaker New York Times bestselling author Delia Owens.
- Health Benefits for Small Businesses | Thurs., May 5 | 9-10 a.m. | Hatchworks Coworking, 45 South French Broad Ave. | Free | Learn about the future of the Affordable Care Act + tips for choosing health insurance benefits.
- May Business After Hours | Thurs., May 5 | 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Holiday Inn Asheville East, 1450 Tunnel Rd. | Free | Bring your business cards and network away.
- Learn and Practice Spanish | Thurs., May 5 | 5 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Practice your Spanish with this intermediate-level immersive discussion experience.
- Literacy Together Volunteer Orientation | Thurs., May 5 | 10 a.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn how to help those struggling with literacy. 📚
- Western NC Regional Listening Session: Asheville | Thurs., May 5 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Center for Craft, 67 Broadway St. | Free | Join this listening session to see how to better understand the opportunities and challenges faced by creative entrepreneurs in this region.
- Weaverville Library Houseplant Exchange | Thurs., May 5-Sat., May 7 | All day | Weaverville Library, 41 N. Main St. | Free | Bring in houseplants and clippings of all sizes and swap for what you want. 🪴
- Cinco De Star Wars | Thurs., May 5 | 6-9 p.m. | 134 Burton Street | Free | Enjoy a spring fiesta with food, music, and an outdoor movie. 📽️
Friday, May 6
- Dana and Susan Robinson | Fri., May 6 | 7 p.m. | Isis Music Hall, 743 Haywood Rd. | $20 | Rock with this Americana roots and folk duo.
- Hot Chip | Fri., May 6 | 9 p.m.-12 a.m. | The Orange Peel | $42 | This English synthpop band draws influences from house and disco.
- Snail Mail | Fri., May 6 | 8 p.m. | The Orange Peel | $25 | Listen to the American indie rock solo project of guitarist and singer Lindsey Jordan.
- Chamber Challenge 5K | Fri., May 6 | 4 p.m. | Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, 36 Montford Ave. + Virtual | $40+ | Friendly competition between local businesses to promote wellness.
- C5 Finckel/Wu Han | Fri., May 6 | 8 p.m. | Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Asheville, 1 Edwin Pl. | $42 | Attend the final concert of the season with acclaimed cellist David Finckel and pianist Wu Han.
- Night Teacher-Pink Mercury after show | Fri., May 6 | 9:30 p.m. | One World Brewing West, 520 Haywood Rd. | Free | Come listen to this mix of traditional folk with electro-pop, blues-rock, and Afro-Cuban rhythm.
- MGCA Spring Plant Sale | Fri., May 6-Sun., May 7 | Various Times | Beverley Hills Baptist Church, 777 East Tunnel Rd. | Free | Shop annual flowering plants as well as selected perennials.
Saturday, May 7
- Master Gardener Plant Sale | Sat., May 7 | 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | The Interchange Building, 59 Woodfin Pl. | Free | Shop a variety of roses, including own-root, fragrant, miniature, and old garden roses.
- Anti-inflammatory healthy cooking | Sat., May 7 | 11 a.m.-2 p.m. | Asheville Mountain Kitchen, 332 E Sondley Dr. | $85 | Learn how to create a delicious, anti-inflammatory dinner using spices + vegetables.
- BomBassic Album Release | Sat., May 7 | 8:30 p.m | Isis Music Hall, 743 Haywood Rd. | $30 | Celebrate a new album from this Asheville artist who is influenced by NY hip-hop and electronica.
- Steep Canyon Ranger’s Free for All | Sat., May 7 | 5-9 p.m. | Pack Square | Free | Local Grammy award-winning American bluegrass band.
- Pop-up Mini Fair | Sat., May 7 | 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Folk Art Center, 382 Blue Ridge Pkwy. | Free | Shop from different folk artists who specialize in everything from bladesmithing to glassblowing to hand-built ceramics.
- Maker Faire Asheville 2022 | Sat., May 7 | 10 a.m.-3 p.m. | A-B Tech, 16 Fernihurst Dr. | Free | Family-friendly festival of invention, creativity, and resourcefulness.
- Back To The 90s Throwback Party | Sat., May 7 | 9 p.m.- 2 a.m. | Asheville Music Hall
- 31 Patton Ave. | $10 | DJ Deacon will be playing all the 90’s throwbacks.
- Role Model | Sat., May 7 | 7 p.m. | The Orange Peel | $20 | Pop artist Tucker Pillsbury Tucker Pillsbury assembles, disassembles, and reassembles different vibes, sounds, and emotions into Role Model.
- Deborah’s School of Shoemaking | Sat., May 7- Sat., Jul. 16 | 2-4 p.m. | 121 Montana Ave. | $1500 + material costs | Meet once a week and find out how to bring your dream shoes to life with a beginner shoemaking course.
- Odditorium Community Flea Market | Sat., May 7 | 9 a.m. | The Odditorium, 1045 Haywood Rd. | Free | Shop all your wacky tacky needs here.
Sunday, May 8
- Pisgah’s 17 Year Anniversary Party | Sun., May 8 | 6-11 p.m.| Pisgah Brewing Company, 2948 US Hwy 70 | $17+ | Night of funk and rock music with the Pimps of Joytime and Travers Brothership, featuring special guest Karl Denson.
- Loss Moms Remembrance Circle | Sun., May 8 | 12-1:30 p.m. | Mars Landing Galleries, 37 Library St., Mars Hill | $5+ | Find community with other loss moms + breathe and journal together.
- Ranky Tanky | Sun., May 8 | 7:30 p.m. | Tryon Fine Arts Center, 34 Melrose Ave. | $35 | American musical jazz-influenced ensemble.
- Mother’s Day Brunch | Sun., May 8 | 10-3 p.m. | Posana, 1 Biltmore Ave. | $55 per person $35 per child | Four-course prix fFixe that includes banana doughnut holes, kale salads, huevos rancheros, and pink lemonade cake.
- Film: Southern Rites | Sun., May 8 | 2 p.m. | Asheville Art Museum, 2 South Pack Sq. | $15 | Watch this film that visits Montgomery County, Georgia, one year after the town merged its racially segregated proms, and during a historic election campaign.
Monday, May 9
- Fused Glass Pendant Class | Mon., May 9 | 3-4:30 p.m. | Burnt Toast Fused Glass, 191 Lyman St. | $105 | Using basic glass tools, you’ll craft a wearable work of art.
Tuesday, May 10
- Coffee with Kit | Tues., May 10 | 9-10 a.m. | 36 Montford Ave. | Free | Learn how Chamber partnerships can benefit the local business community.
- AVLMEETUP |Tues., May 10 | 5:30-7:30 p.m. | Archetype North, 174 Broadway St. | Free | Join for a quick but in depth conversation on the real estate market.
Wednesday, May 11
- Lunch & Learn: Building Local Food Systems | Wed., May 11 | 12-1 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn how SAHC farmland programs are helping to build local food systems through opportunities to access farmland and more.
- Joy Oladokun | Wed., May 11 | 8 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $17 | Don’t miss the Grey Eagle debut of this Black, queer child of Nigerian immigrants.
- Money Visioning & Goal Setting | Wed., May 11 | 12 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Interactive online class focusing on money goals.
Thursday, May 12
- God is a Scottish Drag Queen | Thurs., May 12 | 8 p.m. | Wortham Center, 18 Biltmore Ave. | $35 | This award-winning comedy show tells the story of a floral pantsuit-clad God descending from heaven into the modern world.
- Calming the Anxious Mind | Thurs., May 12 | 10:30 a.m. | Pack Memorial Library, 67 Haywood St. | Free | Learn about different anxiety disorders and interventions available to assist in calming the anxious mind.
- J. Pavone String Ensemble | Thurs., May 12 | 7 p.m. | Black Mountain College Museum + Arts Center, 120 College St. | $8+ | Listen to the instrumentalist and a composer, Jessica Pavones.
- GRATEFUL SHRED | Thurs., May 12 | 7 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | $25 | Love the Grateful Dead? Check out this cover band.
Friday, May 13
- An Evening with Reggie Harris | Fri., May 13 | 7 p.m. | Isis Music Hall, 743 Haywood Rd. | $20+ | A singer, songwriter + storyteller with a passion for global peace and justice.
- Psychic Distance & The Unrealistic Narrator | Fri., May 13 | 1-4 p.m. | Virtual | $75 | Beginning + experienced fiction writers are invited to learn with bestselling author Lauren B. Davis.
- Brews and Bears at the WNC Nature Center | Fri., May 13 | 5:30-8 p.m. | WNC Nature Center, 75 Gashes Creek Rd. | $15-$35 | Walk the WNC Nature Center with a beer or cider in hand. 🐻*
- 2022 WNC Bigfoot Festival | Fri., May 13-Sat., May 14 | Various times | Downtown Marion | Skeptical about Bigfoot? Attend this festival and get all your questions answered.
Saturday, Map 14
- The Tray Wellington Band | Sat., May 14 | 8:30 p.m. | Isis Music Hall, 743 Haywood Rd. | $15 | Catch the International Bluegrass Music Association’s 2019 Momentum Instrumentalist of the year.
- Fiber Day | Sat., May 14 | 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Folk Art Center, 382 Blue Ridge Pkwy. | Free | Learn the process of fiber art with an interactive demonstration.
- Pasta and Croissants | Sat., May 14 |11 a.m.-2 p.m. | Asheville Mountain Kitchen, 332 E Sondley Dr. | $85 | Get ready to carb load and learn to make ravioli, fettuccini, and croissants.
- Build & Fish: Handline Fishing | Sat., May 14 | 2-4 p.m. | Lake Julian Park, 37 Lake Julian Rd. | $25 for license | Learn how to build your own handline fishing rig and then test it out.
- SWANNANOA COMMUNITY YARD SALE | Sat., May 14 | 8 a.m.-1 p.m. | Swannanoa Ingles parking lot, 2299 US 70 | Free | Come shop everyone’s Spring time clean out.
- HEEAL Market | Sat., May 14 | 2 p.m. | One World Brewing West, 520 Haywood Rd. | Free | Pop up vendor market focused on healing self & earth.
- Furever Friends Festival: a benefit for Mountain Pet Rescue | Sat., May 14 | 1-5 p.m. | Wagbar, 320 Merrimon Ave. | Free | Live music, a craft market, food from Ayni 51 vegan Peruvian AND Smokee’s Pizza and a chance to meet your new fur baby.
- Playdate: ‘Jammin Gellis & Journals’ | Sat., May 14- Sun., May 15 | Various Times | ArtPLay Studio, 372 Depot St. | $175 | Learn with guest artist Kirah Van Sickle about gelli printing.
Sunday, May 15
- Dialogue & The Memoir | Sun., May 15 | 2-5 p.m. | Virtual | $75 | Learn how dialogue can help reveal character and deepen stories in memoir with author Laura Kalpakian.
- Gone Gone Beyond | Sun., May 15 | 9 p.m. | Asheville Music Hall, 31 Patton Ave. | $15+ | Folk-americana songwriting with a mix of jazz and soul.
- Chicago | Sun., May 15 | 7:30 p.m. | Harrah’s Cherokee Center – Asheville | $72+ | Revisit hits from this award-winning soft rock band.
- A musical tribute to Frank Zipperer | Sun., May 15 | 2 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | Donations | Celebrate “The Music Shooter,” a live music and nature photographer, a huge supporter of the Asheville live music scene.
- Sunday Planty Hour | Sun., May 15 | 1-5 p.m. | plēb urban winery, 289 Lyman St. | Free | Monthly pop-up plant market featuring local plant vendors.
Monday, May 16
- Willy Tea Taylor + Jeffrey Martin | Mon., May 16 | 8 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $17 | Listen to these folk artists.
- Boys Middle School Open House at French Broad River Academy | Mon., May 16 | 9-10 a.m. | 1990 Riverside Dr. | Free | Learn more about the independent middle school, meet the School Director, visit with current parents + tour the riverside campus.*
- Paint Your Pet | Mon., May 16 | 6 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 174 Broadway St. | $50 | Paint your pet in this guided step by step paint and sip style event.
Tuesday, May 17
- 3rd Open Discussion: Affordable Housing | Tues., May 17 | 6-9 p.m. | 12 Bones Smokehouse RIVER, 5 Foundy St. | Free | A community discussion about Asheville’s affordable housing crisis. 🏠
- Girls Pint Out | Tues., May 17 | 6-9 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 174 Broadway St. | Free | Come find community with other women who love craft beer.
Poetry Night | Tues., May 17 | 6-7:30 p.m. | The Lowdown, 204 Black Mountain Ave. | Free | Share your own original poetry or just listen and enjoy.
Tuesday, May 17
- Girls Middle School Open House at French Broad River Academy | Tues., May 17 | 10-11 a.m. | 1420 Riverside Dr. | Free | Learn more about the independent middle school, meet the School Director, visit with current parents + tour the riverside campus.*
Wednesday, May 18
- Ride of Silence | Wed., May 18 | 7-8:30 p.m. | 70 Court Plz. | Free | A silent cyclist procession honoring those who’ve been killed or injured on public roadways.
- Building the Research Essay | Wed., May 18 | 6 p.m. | Virtual | $125 | Learn to blend personal narrative + research in your personal essays in this two-session class with award-winning author Tessa Fontaine.
- May Chamber Orientation | Wed., May 18 | 3:30-5:30 p.m. | Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, 36 Montford Ave. | Free | Mix + mingle with chamber members.
- Leon Bridges | Wed., May 18 | Rabbit Rabbit, 75 Coxe Ave. | $70 | American neo soul artist.
- Money Visioning & Goal Setting | Wed., May 18 | 12 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Interactive online class focusing on money goals.
Thursday, May 19
- Character: At the Heart of the Story | Thurs., May 19 | 6 p.m. | Virtual | $137.50 | Learn to write great characters for fiction, creative non-fiction, or scripts with Gotham Writers’ Paul Zimmerman.
- WomanUP Workshop | Thurs., May 19 | 8-10:30 a.m. | Crowne Plaza Resort, 1 Resort Dr. | $45 | Make new connections and discuss topics such as leadership, empowerment and work-life balance.
- Sound Effects Benefit Concert | Thurs., May 19 | 5 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | $20 | Special benefit show in support of Asheville Music School with rock/classic rock.
- Food Systems Revolution | Thurs., May 19 | 7-8:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Celebrate the release of activist + author Robert Turner new book, Lewis Mumford and the Food Fighters.
- 2022 Farm Hike | Thurs., May 19 | 10 a.m. | SAHC Community Farm , 372 Merrimon Ave. | $10 | Hike along the Southern Appalachian Highland Conservancy’s Discovery Trail and see projects in progress.
Friday, May 20
- Downtown After 5 | Fri., May 20 | 5-9:30 p.m. | 115 N. Lexington Ave. | Free | Enjoy local food and live music from Terrance Simien & The Zydeco Experience.
- Franc Moody | Fri., May 20 | 9 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $15 | Contemporary electric-infused funk music.
- Kenny G | Fri., May 20 | 7:30 p.m. | Harrah’s Cherokee Center – Asheville | $36 | Discover why the iconic saxophonist is one of the best-selling artists of all time.
- Million Dollar Quartet | Fri., May 20 – Sun., June 19 | Various times | Flat Rock Playhouse, 2661 Greenville Hwy., Flat Rock | $45+ | This Tony Award-winning Broadway musical was inspired by the true story of Sam Phillips bringing together Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Elvis Presley for one night.
- Pop Bubble Tea Grand Opening | Fri., May 20 | 12-8 p.m. | The Hop, 640 Merrimon Ave. | Free | Sample traditional bubble teas in a variety of flavors.
- The Collection | Fri., May 20 | 7 p.m. | Salvage Station, 469 Riverside Dr. | $18+ | This group of seven pop-infused artists was a 2019 NPR Tiny Desk Judge’s Pick.
Saturday, May 21
- Vietnamese street food | Sat., May 21 | 11 a.m.-2 p.m. | Asheville Mountain Kitchen, 332 E. Sondley Dr. | $85 | Learn how to make two popular Vietnamese dishes: Banh Mi sandwiches + Pho.
- Plant Club Pop-up at Art Garden | Sat., May 21 | 11 a.m.-4 p.m. | Art Garden AVL, 191 Lyman St. | Free | This plant + plant goods pop-up sale features 10+ local vendors.
- WNC Comic Con | Sat., May 21 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | WNC Agricultural Center, 761 Boylston Hwy. | $5 | Meet artists and shop from the Southeast’s best comic shops.
- Kidd G | Sat., May 21 | 8 p.m. | The Orange Peel | $22+ | Chart-topping blend of country + hip hop.
- PATIO SHOW: Polly Panic + Bryan Colston | Sat., May 21 | 6 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $10 | A high energy night of blues and hip hop.
- Spring Splash Fundraiser for French Broad River Academy | Sat., May 21 | 6:30-10 p.m. | French Broad River Academy South Campus, 1420 Riverside Dr. | $60 | Celebrate with BBQ, beverages, and a live auction to support Asheville’s independent middle school with separate campuses for boys and girls.*
- Psychedelics and Nature Connection | Sat., May 21 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Location details provided upon registration | $20 | Dr. Tiffany Sauls discusses the latest updates in MDMA therapy and psychedelic legalization.
- The Vegabonds | Sat., May 21 | 7 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | $15+ | Jam out to this Southern rock band.
- Barketype + MPR Dog Adoption Event | Sat., May 21 | 7 p.m. | Archetype Brewing West, 265 Haywood Rd. | Free | Come find your new fur baby.
- 2022 Gala | Sat., May 21 | 6-10 p.m. | Asheville Art Museum, 2 South Pack Sq. | $225 | A night of special exhibitions, dinner and beverages, a live auction, and more to support the Asheville Art Museum.
- Mardi Gras in May | Sat., May 21 | 1-5 p.m. | Aloft, 51 Biltmore Ave. | $10 | Celebrate with a local DJ, themed cocktails, and a decked-out pool.
- Spring Market | Sat., May 21 | 11 a.m-4 p.m. | Pack Square Parking Garage, 26 Biltmore Ave. | Free | The top level of the Pack Square Parking Garage comes alive with local makers, artists, and food vendors.
- Napa Valley Wine | Sat., May 21 | 10 p.m.-1 a.m. | Little Jumbo Bar, 241 Broadway St. | Wine cocktails with a dance party.
Sunday, May 22
- Uncommon Market Asheville | Sun., May 22 | 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Foundry Street | Free | The 8th season of Asheville’s largest curated pop-up market features antiques, art, vintage decor + jewelry.
- BREETHEFEST | Sun., May 22 | 3 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | $75+ | A day of music benefiting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
- Mind Your Plastic May Benefit Concert | Sun., May 22 | 2-10 p.m. | French Broad Outfitters, 230 Hominy Creek Rd. | Free | Help raise funds and distribute sustainable items to the community.
- Access the Groove | Sun., May 22 | 1-5 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $15 | Join a variety of artists, entrepreneurs, and local agencies that support disability justice, equity, and inclusion.
Monday, May 23
Tuesday, May 24
- Lunch & Learn- Anxiety | Tues., May 24 | 1-2 p.m. | Enka-Candler Library, 1404 Sandhill Rd. | Free | Learn how to manage and treat anxiety with help from Vaya Health.
- Quilting Bee | Tues., May 24 | 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. | East Asheville Public Library, 3 Avon Rd. | Free | Bring your own sewing machine and project or work on a community project.
- Poetry under the Stars | Tues., May 24 | 7 p.m. | Tyron Fine Arts Center, 34 Melrose Ave. | $10 | Hear original poems from some of the area’s top professional writers.
- Money Visioning & Goal Setting | Tues., May 24 | 5:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Interactive online class focusing on money goals.
- Calming the Anxious Mind | Tues., May 24| 1 p.m. | Pack Memorial Library, 67 Haywood St. | Free | Learn about different anxiety disorders and how to best navigate them.
Wednesday, May 25
- An Evening for Kids Deserve Justice | Wed., May 25 | 4 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | $20 | Show your support to Pisgah Legal Services’ Children’s Law Program, which helps disadvantaged children avoid unsafe housing conditions and homelessness.
- Michigan Rattlers | Wed., May 25 | 7 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $15 | Original folk-rock tunes reminiscent of Creedence Clearwater Revival.
- ASAP’s 20th anniversary | Wed., May 25 | 4-6:30 p.m. | Hickory Nut Gap, 57 Sugar Hollow Rd. | Free | Celebrate two decades of local foods and founder Charlie Jackson’s retirement.
- The Wailers | Wed., May 25 | 8 p.m. | The Orange Peel | $25 | Listen to this culture defining reggae band.
Thursday, May 26
- Dirty Logic: A tribute to Steely | Thurs., May 26 | 6 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | $20 | Listen to an all-star line-up of some of Asheville North Carolina’s best musicians.
- Giving Garden workday | Thurs., May 26 | 6-7 p.m. | Leicester Library, 1561 Alexander Rd. | Free | Come help get the garden ready as the growing season rapidly approaches.
- Xochi & Popoca | Thurs., May 26-Sun., June 5 | 7 p.m. | Bebe Theater, 20 Commerce St. | $18 | Come watch this new performance about two legendary volcanoes.
Friday, May 27
- GrindFest 2022 | Fri., May 27-Mon., May 30 | Various times | Black Wall Street AVL, 8 River Arts Pl. | Free | This four-day event celebrates the success of local Black entrepreneurs + business owners.
- Greensboro Grasshoppers at Asheville Tourists | Fri., May 27 | 6:05 p.m. | McCormick Field, 30 Buchanan Pl. | $26 | Minor league teams go head to head. ⚾
- North Carolina Arboretum Plant Sale | Fri., May 27- Sat., May 28 | 10 a.m.-3 p.m. | Free | Shop from the plants grown right in the Arboretum as well as from 20 other vendors.
Saturday, May 28
- PATIO SHOW: BadRabbit | Sat., May 28 | 6 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $10 | Jam out to a mix of pop + rock-infused original tunes at this band’s Grey Eagle debut.
- BOMBINO | Sat., May 28 | 9 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $22 | The Grammy award-nominated Nigerian singer songwriter brings the soulful sounds of his native Tuareg culture to the mountains.
- Asheville Blue Ridge Rose Society Rose Exhibition | Sat., May 28 | The North Carolina Arboretum, 100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way | Free | Look at the hundreds of beautiful roses on display and ask questions to the experts around.
- Free Professional Photos | Sat., May 28 | 12-2 p.m. | Enka-Candler Library, 1404 Sandhill Rd. | Free | Get a new headshot, family photo, or new dating profile pic.
Sunday, May 29
Monday, May 30
- Principles of the Mediterranean diet | Mon., May 30 | 11 a.m.-2 p.m. | Asheville Mountain Kitchen, 332 E. Sondley Dr. | $85 | Make six delicious dishes and learn about the health benefits of Mediterranean cuisine.
- Freshen Up Comedy Showcase at 5 Walnut | Mon., May 30 | 7-9 p.m. | 5 Walnut Wine Bar | Donation based | Laugh with some of the city’s best local comedians.
Tuesday, May 31
- Sowing Circle Presents: Cut Flower Gardens | Tues., May 31 | 6:30-7:30 | Black Mountain Library, 105 N. Dougherty St. | Free | Learn many tips about flowers with Abigail Helberg Moffitt from Bloom WNC
- Folk Herbalism & Garden Magic | Tues., May 31 | 7-8:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Appalachian folk herbalist Rebecca Beyer talks about new book.
- Craft Brewery Cookbook VIP Reception | Tues., May 31 | 5:30 p.m. | Highland Brewing Company, 12 Old Charlotte Hwy. | $20 | Enjoy small bites made by Chef Cody from Bun Intended inspired by author + photographer John Holl’s new cookbook.