Happy October, Asheville. If you’re anything like us, you’re ecstatic about cool nights, spooky season, and crunchy leaves lining the streets — and with all that excitement, you’re also looking for fun local events to attend. Read on for all the top events happening this month in the 828.
All month long
- Living Dead in Denmark | Fri., Oct. 15-Sun., Oct. 31 | 7:30 p.m. | Amphitheatre Address, 92 Gay St. | Free | Enjoy this action-adventure packed sequel to William Shakespeare’s Hamlet. 🎭
- Sunday Sessions | Every Sunday | 3-6 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 265 Haywood Rd. | Free | Come jam out on Sundays with different artists every week.🎤
- Jus’ Running Pub Run | Every Wednesday | 6:15-8 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 265 Haywood Rd. | Free | All experience levels are welcome on this group run and beer event.🏃
- Trivia Monday on Haywood | Every Monday | 6:30-8 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 265 Haywood Rd. | Free | Test your knowledge and win gift cards.
- Tuesday Pint Nights | Every Tuesday | 3-9 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 265 Haywood Rd. | Free | One perk of being local is a $4 core pour. 🍻
- Ghosted: Comedy Bus Tour | Oct. 1-31 | 7:30-8:30 p.m. | LaZoom Room, 76 Biltmore Ave. | $37 | Grab a local beer and hop on Asheville’s one-of-a-kind purple bus to journey into the unknown + celebrate Halloween this October. Use promo code BOO to save $5 per ticket. Ⓟ
Friday, Oct. 1
- Insuring Creativity | Fri., Oct. 1 | 2-4 p.m. | Virtual | $5 | Make sure you have the proper insurance needed for your creative business. 📊
- Composting Workshop | Fri., Oct. 1 | 5:30-6:30 p.m. | Azalea Park, 498 Azalea Rd. E | Free | Learn about composting and get a free composting static bin.
- Art of the Olympics | Fri., Oct. 1 | 12 p.m. | Asheville Art Museum, 2 South Pack Sq. | $15+ | This informal gallery presentation from associate curator Whitney Richardson explores artistic representations of Olympic athletes.🖼
- Ribbon Cutting for Aluminati Guitar Company | Fri., Oct. 1 | 5-8 p.m. | Aluminati Guitar Company, 53A Shiloh Rd. | Free | Celebrate the showroom opening and ribbon cutting ceremony. ✂️
- The Friendliest First Friday in AVL October 2021 | Fri., Oct. 1 | 5-7 p.m. | The Refinery AVL, 207 Coxe Ave. | Free | Check out the restorations + renovations and learn all about Refinery’s furniture flipping journey.
- Perpetual Groove | Fri., Oct. 1 | 8 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $18+ | Bring proof of vaccination to this Savannah, Georgia-based jam band.
- Heather Maloney | Fri., Oct. 1 | 8 p.m. | Tina McGuire Theatre, 18 Biltmore Ave. | $30+ | Bring proof of vaccination to listen to this American folk singer-songwriter.
Saturday, Oct. 2
- Crystal Bowersox | Sat., Oct. 2 | 8:30 p.m. | Isis Music Hall & Kitchen 743, 743 Haywood Rd | $25+ | This American singer – songwriter was once runner up for American Idol. 🎤
- Hominy Rising Public Art Exhibition | Sat., Oct. 2 | 4-7p.m. | Hominy Creek Greenway, 80 Shelbourne Rd. | Free | Celebrate the beauty of the greenway with a public art show.🖼
- Meet the animals at Rabbit Rabbit | Sat., Oct. 2 | 10:30 a.m. | Rabbit Rabbit, 75 Coxe Ave. | Free | Meet animal ambassadors + partake in educational activities, courtesy of Appalachian Wildlife Refuge. 🐰
- Playful Parent Meet Up | Sat., Oct. 2 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | West Asheville Park, 198 Vermont Ave. | Free | Meet other parents and enjoy optional complimentary childcare.
- New Belgium Service Day | Sat., Oct. 2 | 10 a.m-12 p.m. | Emma Rd & Hazel Mill Public Parking, 162 Craven St. | Help maintain stormwater features along Craven Street, that help control floods, filter water, and provide habitat.
- Plant Sale | Sat., Oct. 2 | 9 a.m- 3 p.m. | 90 Montford Ave. | Free | Find fall flowers galore at this socially distant and drive thru sale.
- AVL Film Lab Photo Walk | Sat., Oct. 2 | 10 a.m. | Marshall High School, 116 Blannahassett Island Rd. | Free | Meet up with fellow photographers and talk about all things photos and film.
- Just Brew It | Sat., Oct. 2 | 2-5 p.m. | Pisgah Brewing Company, 2948 US-70, Black Mountain | $30+ | This homebrew competition featuring ~ 100 different beers and 40 local breweries benefits the work of Just Economics.
- Harvest Fall Festival | Sat., Oct. 2 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Ross Farms at Jack Young Greenhouse, 91 Holbrook Rd. | Free | Come enjoy some live music, food trucks, craft vendors, pumpkins, plants, and best of all a mechanical bull.
- InterBeing Festival : A Celebration of Community | Sat., Oct. 2 | 1-10 p.m. | Samasati Sanctuary, 1700 New Stock Rd. Weaverville | $20 | Celebrate community through breathwork, sound journey, kirtan, performances, community circle, potluck dinner, and intimate conversations on 11 beautiful acres of meadow and forest. Ⓟ
- Riveter Harvest Jam 2021 | Sat., Oct. 2 | 8 a.m.-8 p.m. | 701 Old Fanning Bridge Rd. | $10 | Think: Big jumps, big tricks, and prizes. Compete or spectate for a whole day of pro + amateur jam-format contests with over $6K at stake. Ⓟ
Sunday, Oct. 3
- Asheville VeganFest | Sun., Oct. 3 |11 a.m-6 p.m. | | Pack Square Park, 80 Court Plz. | Free | The 6th annual iteration of this fest features vendors, live music + a slew of plant-based eats . 🥗
- Reiki and Rest: A Yoga Nidra and Reiki Event | Sun., Oct. 3 | 6-7 p.m. | Full Flow Yoga Studio, 331 New Leicester Hwy. | $20+ | A Yoga Nidra — aka yogic sleep — practice followed by reiki energy healing for deep relaxation. 🧘
- Trey Kennedy: The Are You For Real? | Sun., Oct. 3 | 6 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $50+ | Bring proof of vaccination to this show featuring writer, actor, comedian, and musician, Trey Kennedy.
- Drag Brunch | Sun., Oct. 3 | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. | The Event Space at Hi-Wire Brewing,
2 Huntsman Pl. | $35 | Enjoy drag queen performances while you nosh on brunch from Biscuit Head.
Monday, Oct. 4
- Downtown Pub Run w/Jus’ Running | Mon., Oct. 4 | 6:15-7:30 p.m. | Archetype Brewing Tap Lounge + Venue, 174 Broadway St. | Free | All experience levels are welcome on this group run and beer event.🏃
- Fit for Adventure Tour | Mon., Oct. 4-Wed., Oct. 6 |12-6 p.m. | 27 Foundy St. | Free | Get your Chacos repaired for free + create a custom pair at the Chaco Footwear mobile factory bus.
- Mondays on Main | Mon., Oct. 4 | 5-7 p.m. | 16 Main St., Canton | Free | Enjoy live music, food trucks, axe throwing, and antiques.
Tuesday, Oct. 5
- Bog Boardwalk | Tues., Oct. 5 | 12:30-4 p.m. | Mountain Trail Outdoor School at Kanuga, 130 Kanuga Chapel Dr., Hendersonville | $30 | A hands-on outdoor ecology field trip for kids ages 4-12 on how to safely handle endangered carnivorous plants.🪴
- Jasper String Quartet | Tues., Oct. 5 | 7:30 p.m. | Brevard Music Center, 349 Andante Ln. | $35+ | Bring proof of vaccination to celebrate the quartet’s fifteenth anniversary at this opening night.
- Sean McConnell | Tues., Oct. 5 | 7 p.m. | The Grey Eagle, 185 Clingman Ave | $15+ | Bring proof of vaccination to listen to American Folk and country singer-songwriter.🎤
- Literacy Together Volunteer Orientation | Tues., Oct. 5 | 5 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn how to help those struggling with literacy.
- Community Blood Drive w/The Blood Connection | Tues., Oct. 5 | 3-8 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 265 Haywood Rd., Asheville | Free | Donate blood and receive a $20 visa gift card.
- Tear in your Beer Tuesday | Tues., Oct. 5 | 8 p.m | Fleetwood’s, 496 Haywood Rd. West | $10 | Enjoy your beer + country music with special guest Vaden Landers.🎵
- Evolving Asheville – Resilience for All | Tues., Oct. 5 | 8-10 a.m | Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, 1 Resort Dr. | $25+ | The first of a three-part Fall Buzz Breakfast series discussing the resiliency of our community.
Wednesday, Oct. 6
- UNC Asheville Guest Lecturer: Sol Neely | Wed., Oct. 6 | 7-8 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn from a citizen of the Cherokee Nation + founder of prison education program The Flying University.
- Breach of Peace, written and performed by Mike Wiley | Oct. 6-17 | 7:30-9:30 p.m. | NC Stage, 15 Stage Lan. | $25 | Written, performed, and produced by Mike Wiley Productions, this solo play about the 1961 Freedom Rides is a living monument to those who rose to face the dangers of fighting for justice and equality for all. Tickets on sale now. ⓅParade of Homes | Sat., Oct. 16- Sun., Oct. 17 | 1-5 p.m. | Various locations | Free | Gather inspiration, meet folks from the building industry, and peek inside of some of WNC’s newest homes during the last weekend of in-person tours for the 40th Annual Parade of Homes. 🏠 Ⓟ
Thursday, Oct. 7
- Patio Show: The Two Tracks | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 5 p.m. | The Grey Eagle | $10 | A lively, 4-piece band from Wyoming plays earthy Americana. 🎸
- Literacy Together Volunteer Orientation | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 10 a.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn how to help those struggling with literacy.
- What is the Universe? | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 7 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn from astronomy writer, editor, and popularizerBob Berman.
- October Business After Hours | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 7 p.m. | Element Asheville Downtown, 62 College Pl. | Free | Make some new business connections at this networking event.
- 3-Part Racial Justice Training Series | Thurs., Oct. 7, Oct.14, Oct. 21, | 11 a.m. | Virtual | Free | This 3-part series explores anti-Black racism, overlapping systems of oppression, and racial equity locally.
- 11th Annual Justice Forum | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 5:30 p.m. in-person, 7 p.m. virtual | Rabbit Rabbit, 75 Coxe Ave. | $50 in-person, Free virtual | Pediatrician, activist + author, Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People in the World, delivers the keynote speech at this fundraising event from Pisgah Legal Services.
- Contemporary Clay: Artist Talk and Reception | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 5-7 p.m. | WCU Bardo Arts Center, 199 Centennial Dr., Cullowhee | Free | Join this celebration of Contemporary Clay 2021 where artists push the boundaries of race, culture, sexuality, gender, and class.
- A Taste of the Vineyard | Thurs., Oct. 7 | 6-9 p.m. | Point Lookout Vineyards, 408 Appleola Rd., Hendersonville | $40+ | Partner your glass of wine with tastings from Hickory Nut Gap Farms, Underground Baking Co., Nix & Sons Apple Orchard + more, and enjoy music by the Blake Ellege Band plus a silent auction. Strict CDC guidelines will be followed. Ⓟ
Friday, Oct. 8
- Scaling and Shifting Your Craft Business | Fri., Oct. 8 | 10 a.m.-3 p.m. | Center for Craft, 67 Broadway St. | $5 | Learn how to determine your value in the marketplace. 📊
- Pilobolus: BIG FIVE-OH! | Fri., Oct. 8 – Mon., Oct. 10 | Various times | Wortham Center for the Performing Arts, 18 Biltmore Ave. | $55+ | The dance company celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- Autumn at the Opry | Oct 8-31| 8 p.m. | Flat Rock Playhouse, 2661 Greenville Hwy. | $35+ | Enjoy honky tonk, bluegrass + more at the State Theatre of NC’s first show back on the Flat Rock Playhouse property. 🎶
- The Old Chevrolette Set | Fri., Oct. 8 | 8 p.m. | Weinhaus, 86 Patton Ave. | $5 | Bring proof of vaccination to this night filled with classic country music. 🎤
- Asheville Adventure Center | Fri., Oct. 8-30, Weekends only | The Adventure Center of Asheville, 85 Expo Dr. | $15+ | This family-friendly haunt features an aerial glow trail, live entertainment, a life-sized pirate ship escape room, a kids play wall, crafts, and plenty of food. 👻
Saturday, Oct. 9
- TAUK | Sat., Oct. 9 | 7:30 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $20+ | Bring proof of vaccination to enjoy an all-instrumental blend of progressive rock, hip-hop, and jazz. 🎶
- The Treblemakers | Sat., Oct. 9 | 4 p.m. | Location will be sent upon receipt of reservation | Pay what you can | Listen to Barbara Weiss on the harpsichord, Amy Brucksch on guitar, and Frances Demoretcky on synth melodica.
- Moon Taxi | Sat., Oct. 9 | 6:30 p.m. | Salvage Station, 468 Riverside Dr. | $25+ | Listen to this American indie-rock band while enjoying Southern style food from Root Down.
- Burnpile Harvest Fest | Sat., Oct. 9 | 1-6 p.m. | Forestry Camp, 10 Shady Oak Dr. | $40+ | Bring proof of vaccination to this event featuring beer from 50+ breweries and a full day of live entertainment from Expo Seventy, Deserta, Grip, and more. 🍻
- Intro to Photography | Sat., Oct. 9 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Leicester Library, 1561 Alexander Rd. | Free | Level up your photography skills at this all levels workshop. 📸
- TL Lange Retrospective Exhibition | Sat., Oct. 9 | 12-7 p.m. | Phil Mechanic Studios, 109 Roberts St. | Free | Come view 20 paintings by deceased figurative and abstract artist TL Lange that have never been displayed to the public.
- 5th Annual Haunted Hills Ride | Sat., Oct. 9 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Harley-Davidson of Asheville, 20 Patton Cove Rd., Swannanoa | $10+ | Support local veterans at this event, featuring vendors, live music, raffles, + door prizes. 🎃
- 2021 Kenilworth Artists Association Studio Tour | Sat., Oct. 9-Sun., Oct. 10 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m. | Kenilworth | Free | This self-guided studio tour for the serious art buyer or casual browser ft. 26 artists showcasing their works in watercolor, acrylic, jewelry, pottery, glass, woodcraft, photography, and more. Ⓟ
- Down Dog Pup-Up Market | Sun., Oct. 10 | 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Down Dog, 51 Sweeten Creek Rd. | Free | This outdoor art shopping experience curated by Down Dog and Asheville’s Dream Team will feature local artists and makers plus mimosas, yoga discounts + other fun surprises. Ⓟ
Sunday, Oct. 10
- Thievery Corporation: The Outernational | Sun., Oct. 10 | 8 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $47+ | Bring your proof of vaccination to this show featuring electronic music from the iconic Grammy-award winners.
- BomBassic Presents: Brunch and Beats | Sun., Oct. 10 | 1-7 p.m. | 56 N Main St., Weaverville | $15+ | Have a daytime dance party with electronic music from BomBassic with special guests, Kotton Kandy + DJ sets by Deakle Matter and Cpt. HyperDrive.
Monday, Oct. 11
Tuesday, Oct. 12
- Colony House | Tues., Oct. 12 | 7 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $20+ | Bring proof of vaccination to see this American indie rock quartet.
- Animal Signs | Tues., Oct. 12 | 12:30-4 p.m. | Mountain Trail Outdoor School at Kanuga, 130 Kanuga Chapel Dr. Hendersonville | $30 | Hands-on outdoor ecology field trip for kids ages 4-12 on detecting animals.🐾
- WNC Career Expo | Tues., Oct. 12 | 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. | WNC Agricultural Center / Davis Event Center, 765 Boylston Hwy.Fletcher | Come talk to employers in manufacturing, technology, health care, tourism, professional services, and other growth industries. 🤝
Wednesday, Oct. 13
- Religion + Art in the 21st Century | Wed., Oct. 13 | 7:30 p.m. | Virtual + Black Mountain College Museum + Art Center, 120 College St. | Free | Join religion and art scholar Aaron Rosenfor a talk about how artists are reframing how others view religion +spirituality.
- NOH8 Beer Release Party | Wed., Oct. 13 | 5:30 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 265 Haywood Rd. | Free | Try the first round of this beer series where a percentage of the proceeds will go to the non-profit, Southern Equality.
Thursday, Oct. 14
- Mt. Joy & Trampled By Turtles | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 5 p.m. | Rabbit Rabbit, 75 Coxe Ave. | $40+ I Bring proof of vaccination to this indie rock show oened by bluegrass-infused folk rockers Trampled By Turtles.
- Special Session with Ketch Secor & Molly Tuttle | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 5:30-10 p.m. | Burntshirt Vineyards, 438 Main St., Chimney Rock | $90+ | Enjoy apple wine, a Low Country Boil, and live music from Old Crow Medicine Show’s front man Ketch Secor and Molly Tuttle, the first woman to win the International Bluegrass Music Association’s Guitar Player of the Year award.
- Mikasa Nikkei Pop-Up | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 6:30-9 p.m.| Mikasa Nikkei, 280 Hazel Mill Rd. | $100+ | Enjoy a 6-course dinner featuring the unique flavors of Peruvian-Japanese fusion.🥘
- TheatreUNCA:”Everyone” | Thurs., Oct. 14-Sun., Oct. 17 | UNC Asheville Belk Theatre, 1 University Heights | Free | Enjoy the first in-person show since early 2020 inspired by the pandemic and the 15th-century morality play, Everyman.
- Seeing Sound: A Musical Journey of Water and Light | Thurs., Oct. 14-Fri., Oct. 15 | Bardo Arts Center, 199 Centennial Dr. Cullowhee | $20+ | Enjoy this music and light show.
- Shuggie Otis & Freedom Flight: A Talk by Bill Kopp with André Cholmondeley | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 8-10 p.m. | Citizen Vinyl, 14 O Henry Ave. | Free | Listen to the psychedelic soul, funk, blues, and jazz fusion artist discuss his work.
- Original Zen: Its Art Then and Now | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 4 p.m. | Virtual or UNC Asheville, One University Heights | Free | Presenter David Hinton will discuss how Ch’an shaped the arts in ancient China and its migration to America.
- Film Screening and Talk: “Testify, Beyond Place” | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 7:30 p.m. | Virtual + Black Mountain College Museum + Art Center, 120 College St. | Free | View and discuss the film about the Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church’s relationship with Western Carolina University with director and producer Marie T. Cochran. 🎥
- ForestHer: The History and Role of Prescribed Fire in North Carolina | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 1 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn about the history + function of prescribed fire in NC’s forest ecosystems. 🔥
- Fall LEAF Festival | Thurs., Oct. 14-Sun., Oct. 17 | Various times | Lake Eden, 377 Lake Eden Rd. | Free | Headliners for this bi-annual arts and culture celebration include Las Cafeteras, HuDost, Ethno Camp USA, Tito Puente JR, Sierra Hull, CimaFunk, and Beny Esguerra. 🎤
- Mega Networking | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. | Asheville Sun Soo Martial Arts 800 Fairview Rd., Suite D-2 | $45+ | Meet with people from various industries at this fast paced networking event.
- Outdoor Yoga | Thurs., Oct. 14 | 9-10 a.m. | Atelier Maison & Co, 121 Sweeten Creek Rd Suite 50 | $20 | Join the founder of Yoga Nut Lindsay Coward in a 60 min yoga class.
Friday, Oct. 15
- Parker Millsap w/ Molly Parden | Fri., Oct. 15 | 7 p.m. | Asheville Masonic Temple, 80 Broadway St. | $22 | Bring along your proof of vaccination to this folk music-filled night.🎶
- Bill & the Belles | Fri., Oct. 15 | 8 p.m. | Weinhaus, 86 Patton Ave. | $10 | Bring proof of vaccination to this country music filled night as this Tennessee based band perform their new record, Happy Again.
- Film Screening and Talk: “Theirs is the Kingdom: A Documentary About Poverty and Portraiture” | Fri., Oct. 15 | 7:30 p.m. | Virtual or Haywood Street Congregation, 297 Haywood St. | Free | Join the award-winning documentary filmmaker + multimedia producer, Chris Zaluski, for a discussion about the Haywood Street Congregation’s contemporary fresco mural.
- Antique and Collectible Book Sale | Fri., Oct. 15 + Sat., Oct 16 | 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. | Pack Memorial Library, 67 Haywood St. | Free | Attend the annual sale where the proceeds support programming for the library.
- Love Never Dies | Fri., Oct. 15 | 7 p.m. | The Center for Art & Entertainment, 125 S Main St Hendersonville | $53+ | Enjoy this night in Mediumship with Asheville Medium Anthony Mikolojeski, Jackie Korth, and Elissa Wilds.
- Things That Go Bump in the Night | Fri., Oct. 15 | 6-9 p.m. | Revolve, 821 Riverside Dr. #179 | Free | Joining this opening reception for music, tarot and visual art.
- Carolina Pumpkin Spelltacular | Weekends, Oct.15-31 | 7:30-10:30 p.m. | Tryon International Equestrian Center | $15+ | This immersive, family-friendly experience features 5,000 hand-carved pumpkins, a monster party, autumnal eats, a haunted gold mine + more. 🎃
- Stormwater Management for Homeowners Workshop | Fri., Oct. 15 | 3-4:30 p.m. | 50 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. | Free | Learn about stormwater control measures, constructed wetlands, rain barrels, rain gardens, and more.
- Bloodbath: Victoria’s Secret | Fri., Oct 15-Sat., Oct. 30 | 7:30-9:30 p.m. | The Magnetic Theatre, 375 Depot St. | $25 | Horror film actress Victoria’s dinner is interrupted by people with deadly intentions— who is the hunter and who is the prey, and who will survive? Ⓟ
Saturday, Oct. 16
- Fall Warehouse Sale + Artisan Market | Sat., Oct. 16 | 10 a.m.-6 p.m. | Atelier Maison & Co., 121 Sweeten Creek Rd. | Free | Enjoy big sales, food, live music + up to 40% off curated warehouse items. Ⓟ
- Parade of Homes | Sat., Oct. 16- Sun., Oct. 17 | 1-5 p.m. | Various locations | Free | Gather inspiration, meet folks from the building industry, and peek inside of some of WNC’s newest homes during the last weekend of in-person tours for the 40th Annual Parade of Homes. 🏠 Ⓟ
- Apple Harvest Festival | Sat., Oct. 16 | Downtown Waynesville | 9 a.m.-5 p.m. | Find ~200 arts + craft booths, food concessions, music, cloggers, and apple treats galore at this 34th annual fest. 🍎
- Artful Adventure at Asheville Art Museum: Home Sweet Home | Sat., Oct. 16 | 11:30 a.m.- 12:15 p.m. | $15+ | Follow touring docent Megan Pylethrough the museum for a family-friendly exploration of storytelling through the visual arts. 🖼
- 4th Annual Wicked Halloween 5K & Fun Run | Sat., Oct. 16 | 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. | $25+ | Carrier Park, 220 Amboy Rd. | Don your Halloween costume for this race benefitting the Asheville Humane Society. 👻
- Open Streets Oakley | Sat., Oct. 16 | 12-5 p.m. | Stoner Road to Glendale Ave. | Free | Do just about anything from Zumba, roller skating, biking, and pogo sticking on this street closed off from car traffic.
- Music of John Cage | Sat., Oct. 16 | 1:30 p.m. | Virtual + Black Mountain College Museum + Art Center, 120 College St. | Free | Pianist Thomas Moore performs pieces by John Cage from the ’50s through the ’90s. 🎹
- Barketype + MPR Adoption Event | Sat., Oct. 16 | 1-4 p.m. | Archetype Brewing, 265 Haywood Rd. | Free | Join Asheville’s Mountain Pet Rescue as they host a dog adoption event.
- Scrivener Essentials with Charlotte Lit’s Paul Reali | Sat., Oct. 16 | 1-5 p.m. | AB Tech, 29 Tech Dr. | $100 | Learn how to use this writing and organizing software created for writers by writers.
- Buzz E-Bike Pop-Up | Sat., Oct. 16 | 1-3 p.m. | Bhramari Brewing Company, 101 South Lexington Ave. | Free | Test ride the brand’s newest e-products while enjoying a beer.
- Sacrilege: Goth Party | Sat., Oct. 16 | 10 p.m. | Asheville Beauty Academy, 28 Broadway St. | Free | Dress up and dance the night away with DJ Avel Veeta.
Sunday, Oct. 17
- Bike Clinic III: DIY Shifting Overhaul | Sun., Oct. 17 | 2-5 p.m. | 90 Biltmore Ave. $15+ | Learn how to set up and maintain shifting assemblies.🚵♂️
- RAIL Memorial | Sun., Oct. 17 | 3:30 p.m. | Andrews Geyser, 2111 Mill Creek Rd., Old Fort | Join the unveiling of the The Railroad and Incarcerated Laborer Memorial Project.
- Queer Girls Literary Reading | Sun., Oct. 17 | 4:30 p.m. | Rabbit Rabbit, 75 Coxe Ave. | $5+ | The 12th Annual Queer Girls Literary Reading features original readings by literary queer girls.
- Reiki & Restore PRIDE Class | Sun., Oct. 17 | 4:30-6 p.m. | Sliding scale | Join Allé in this yoga and reiki class that’s great for your nervous system.
- The Witches’ Coven Drag Brunch | Sat., Oct. 17 | 12 p.m. | Asheville Beauty Academy, 28 Broadway St. | $32 | Watch local drag queens serve spooky looks while you serve yourself a buffet brunch with a complimentary mimosa or bloody mary. 🍹
- Sunset Rooftop Yoga with Live Drumming | Sun., Oct. 17 | Aloft Hotel, 51 Biltmore Ave. | $25 | Local soundscape artist Billy Zanski will play the drums to create a peaceful atmosphere to assist in relaxation while Down Dog Yoga Studio leads a yoga class during golden hour. Ⓟ
Monday, Oct. 18
- 20th Annual Empty Bowls | Mon., Oct. 18 | 10 a.m.-6 p.m. | DoubleTree, 115 Hendersonville Road | $40 | Enjoy a meal of soup in a piece of handmade pottery in exchange for a donation towards ending hunger. 🥣
- Deep Revision w/ Katey Schultz 3-session workshop | Mon., Oct. 18, Oct. 25, Nov. 1 | 6 p.m. | Virtual | $187 | Learn techniques for revising fiction or nonfiction work.
Tuesday, Oct. 19
- Blue October | Tues., Oct. 19 | 7 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $30+ | Bring proof of vaccination to listen to this American alternative rock band.
- Survival Skills | Tues., Oct. 19 | 12:30-4 p.m. | Mountain Trail Outdoor School at Kanuga, 130 Kanuga Chapel Dr. Hendersonville | $30 | Hands-on outdoor ecology field trip focused on learning survival skills, like how to build a warm shelter.
- Money Visioning & Goal Setting | Tues., Oct. 19 | 12 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Join this online class by financial education & counseling business, OnTrack WNC.
- Asheville Buncombe Food Policy Council | Tues., Oct. 19 | 5:30-7 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Join this meeting to learn about ongoing projects + how to get involved in local food systems policy advocacy.
- Charleston Open Source Virtual Career Fair | Tues., Oct. 19 | 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Meet some of Charleston’s top tech companies and learn more about available positions, and how to grow your career in Charleston’s tech industry. Ⓟ
Wednesday, Oct. 20
- Ivory Road Pop Up Dinner “Fall in Appalachia” | Wed., Oct. 20 | 6:30-9 p.m. | Botanist & Barrel Asheville, 32 Broadway St. | $80+ | Enjoy a delicious 4-course dinner. 🥘
- Preservation through Art | Wed., Oct. 20 | 6-8 p.m. | Wedge at Foundation, 5 Foundy St. | Free | A Q & A with artists participating in the exhibition to raise funds to help preserve the French Broad River. 🖼
- The Hunter’s Full Moon Gala | Wed., Oct. 20 | 5-10 p.m. | Hazel Robinson Amphitheatre, 90 Gay St. | $50+ | Fundraising event for Firefly gathering featuring ceremony, music, mystery + story.
- Creating Audiobooks | Wed., Oct. 20 | 6-8 p.m. | Virtual | $50 | Learn how to create an audiobook with the author and podcaster Landis Wade.
- Aquanet: Goth Night | Wed., Oct. 20 | 9 p.m.-2 a.m. | Asheville Beauty Academy, 28 Broadway St. | Free | Enjoy a night of traditional goth music with the local goth scene.
- Chamber Family Get-Down by the River | Wed., Oct. 20 | 3:30-6:30 p.m. | Salvage Station, 466 Riverside Dr. | Free | Enjoy this day filled with bouncy houses, kids’ activities, food from local caterers, beer and non-alcoholic beverages, and more.
- Venardos Circus | Wed., Oct. 20-Sun., Nov. 7 | Various times | 800 Brevard Rd. | $27+ | Come watch this unique Broadway style circus.
Thursday, Oct. 21
- DJ night | Thurs., Oct. 21 | 9 p.m. | Static Age Records, 110 N Lexington Ave. | $6 | Dance the night away with DJ sets from DJ Lil Meow Meow and DJ LC Tamagotchi.
- Celebration On The Court | Thurs., Oct. 21 | 6 p.m. | Kimmel Arena/Sherrill Center, 227 Campus Dr. | $150 | This celeb-hosted event features dinner, drinks + a reception. 🏀
- The River Runner Movie Showing | Thurs., Oct. 21 | 7-9 p.m. | SylvanSport, 21 Welcome St. | Free | Bring a chair and enjoy this film about a kayaker wanting to be the first to paddle through the four great rivers.
Friday, Oct. 22
- Beyond Prison Artist Alliance: Dreamscapes | Fri., Oct. 22 | 5-7 p.m | Pink Dog Gallery, 348 Depot St. | Free | 10 artists explore the theme of Dreamscapes. 🖼
- Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair | Fri., Oct. 22 – Sun., Oct. 24 | Various times | WNC Agricultural Center, 765 Boylston Hwy., Fletcher |This event showcases fiber artists and includes vendors from all over the country.
- Great Smokies African American Experience Project Townhall | Fri., Oct. 22 | 2-3 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Learn from The National Park Service’s Antoine Fletcher of the untold stories of African American in and outside of the Smoky mountains.
Saturday, Oct. 23
- MakerSpace: Experimental Mark-Making| Sat., Oct. 23 | 1-4 p.m. | Asheville Art Museum, 2 South Pack Square | $15+ | Visit the exhibition The Mountain Lake Experience on a scavenger hunt for inspiration, then try out experimental mark-making and collaborative techniques in the studio.
- Turgua Craft Pottery Pop- Up | Sat., Oct. 23- Sun., Oct. 24 | Various times |Turgua Brewing Co., 3131 Cane Creek Rd., Fairview | Free | View the work of eight potters while drinking beer, listening to music, and food from Cecilia’s Kitchen and Sabora.
- We’re Locals | Sat., Oct. 23 | 7 p.m. | Sly Grog Lounge, 271 Haywood S | $20 | Enjoy this multimedia show where Dan Vetrano and Aaron Nevins act as locals.
- Zoe & Cloyd Album Release Show | Sat., Oct. 23 | 8:30 p.m. | Isis Music Hall, 743 Haywood Rd. | $20+ | Enjoy this folk husband and wife duo.
- Zydeco Ya Ya rocks | Sat., Oct. 23 | 8-10:30 p.m. | Weinhaus, 86 Patton Ave. | Free | Bring proof of vaccination to this Swap Pop and Cajun Swing band.
- Pups & Pints |Sat., Oct. 23 | 6-8 p.m. | 26 Biltmore Ave | Free | Enjoy a night of local Breweries, dog-friendly vendors and live music all benefiting the Asheville Humane Society.
- West Asheville Family Vet’s Grand Opening Celebration | Sat., Oct. 23 | 1-4 p.m. | West Asheville Family Vet, 547 Haywood Rd. | Free | Celebrate this new vet in town with music, food, beer, wine, and get to tour the new facility.
- Blue Ridge Big Band Dance Party | Sat., Oct. 23 | 7 p.m. | The Center for Art & Entertainment, 125 S Main St. Hendersonville | $25+ | Dance the night away 19 WNC musicians with music from a wide range of musical styles.
- Knock Out Parkinson’s Challenge | Sat., Oct. 23 | 10 a.m.-2 p.m. | Various locations | Free | Enjoy 20-minute workouts, giveaways, and raffle prizes.
- Making Strides of Asheville | Sat., Oct. 23 | 9 a.m | Pack Square Park, 80 Court Plaza | Fundraising event for breast cancer awareness.
- The 25th Anniversary Surreal Sirkus Arts Festival | Sat., Oct. 23 | 2-10 p.m. | Pack Square Park, 121 College St. | Free | This event will feature Surreal Sirkus, Unifire Theater, Snake Oil Medicine Show , Blue Spectral Monkey and more.
- North Carolina Ceramic Arts Festival | Sat., Oct. 23 | 11 a.m.-5 p.m. | North Pack Square Park | Free | Enjoy 30+ ceramic art vendors, food trucks, live music, and Raku demonstrations throughout the day. Ⓟ
Sunday, Oct. 24
- Oyster Roasts | Sun., Oct. 24 | Various times | Jettie Rae’s Oyster House, 143 Charlotte St. | $85+ | Enjoy this Charleston-style Oyster Roast.
- AVL Doggoween | Sun., Oct. 24 | 3-6 p.m. | Getaway River Bar, 790 Riverside Dr. | Free | Have your dog compete in the cutest costume contest in town.
- Bike Clinic III: DIY Shifting Overhaul | Sun., Oct. 24 | 2-5 p.m. | 90 Biltmore Ave. $15+ | Learn how to set up and maintain shifting assemblies.🚵♂️
- “Community is Immunity” — live interview with Dr. Gus Vickery | Sun., Oct. 24 | 3-5 p.m. | Taylor Ranch, 1005 Cane Creek Rd., Fletcher | $5 | The local family medicine physician with Wild Health Asheville will be interviewed live on the Wise Traditions Podcast, a project of the Weston A. Price Foundation. Ⓟ
Monday, Oct. 25
- X Ambassadors | Mon., Oct. 25 | 7 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $30+ | Bring proof of vaccination to listen to this American rock band.
- Money Visioning & Goal Setting | Tues., Oct. 19 | 12 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Join this online class by financial education & counseling business, OnTrack WNC.
- Scarecrow Festival | Mon., Oct. 25-Sun., Oct. 31 | 8 a.m.-6 p.m. | Lake Julian Park, 37 Lake Julian Rd. | Free | Pay homage to the fall harvest at this annual fest featuring scarecrows constructed + decorated by the community. 👻
Tuesday, Oct. 26
- Climbing Tower | Tues., Oct. 26 | 12:30-4 p.m. | Mountain Trail Outdoor School at Kanuga, 130 Kanuga Chapel Dr. Hendersonville | $30 | An opportunity for children ages 4-12 to climb the 40 ft tall tower. 🧗
- Halloween Charcuterie Workshop | Tues., Oct. 26 | 6:30 p.m. | Catawba Brewing Company, 32 Banks Ave. | $85+ | Learn how to make a charcuterie board while sipping on a Catawba beer.
- The Lenoir-Rhyne Equity and Diversity Institute (LREDI) Ribbon Cutting | Tues., Oct. 26 | 4-6 p.m. | Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, 36 Montford Ave. | Free | Celebrate a year of impact that LREDI has had within the community.
- Evolving Asheville – Resilience for All | Tues., Oct. 26 | 8-10 a.m | Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, 1 Resort Dr. | $25+ | The first of a three-part Fall Buzz Breakfast series discussing the resiliency of our community.
Wednesday, Oct. 27
- Tennis | Wed., Oct. 27 | 7 p.m. | The Orange Peel, 101 Biltmore Ave. | $18 | Bring proof of vaccination to listen to this American indie pop band with special guest Molly Burch.
- A Talk by Cord Whitaker | Wed., Oct. 27 | 5:15-6:15 p.m. | Virtual | Free | Listen to Wellesley College professor give his “The Harlem Middle Ages: W.E.B. Du Bois and Global Black Medievalism” talk.
- Visiting Writers Series:Poet Lee Ann Roripaugh | Wed., Oct. 27 | 7-8 p.m. |Sherrill Center, 227 Campus Dr. | Free | Learn from a Wyoming native and second-generation Japanese American.
- Live from WVL Radio Theatre: The Word Exchange | Wed., Oct. 27- Tues., Nov. 14 | various times| $25 | Enjoy this theatrical adaptation based on the novel by Alena Graedon.
- Aquanet: Goth Night | Wed., Oct. 20 | 9 p.m.-2 a.m. | Asheville Beauty Academy, 28 Broadway St. | Free | Enjoy a night of traditional goth music with the local goth scene.
Thursday, Oct. 28
- Mikasa Nikkei Pop-Up | Thurs., Oct. 28 | 6:30-9:00 p.m. | Mikasa Nikkei, 280 Hazel Mill Rd. | $100+ | 6-course dinner featuring the unique flavors of Peruvian-Japanese fusion cuisine. 🥘
- Expand Your Circle | Thurs., Oct. 28 | 5:30 p.m. | Focal Point Coworking, 125 S Lexington Ave Suite 101 | $10 | Network with other women entrepreneurs.
- Optimize Your Health | Thurs., Oct. 28 | 6-9 p.m. | Crowne Plaza Hotel, 1 Resort Dr. | $10+ | Learn ways to stay healthy this Fall and Winter season.
- Drag Music Bingo with Divine the Bearded Lady | Thurs., Oct. 28 | 6-8 p.m. | Highland Brewing’s Downtown taproom, 56 Patton Ave. | Free | Dance and play bingo while drinking some beer.
Friday, Oct. 29
- Fireside Serenade with Wellspring and Alex Krug Combo | Fri., Oct. 29 | 6:30-8:30 p.m. | Oak & Grist Distilling Company, 1556 Grovestone Rd., Black Mountain | $9 | Listen to these Appalachian rock artists.
- Seance Magic Show for Charity | Fri., Oct. 29 | 8:30-10 p.m. | St Mary’s Episcopal Church, 337 Charlotte St. | $20 | Attend this magic show to raise money for the Vanishing Wheelchair charity organization.
- Under the Stars | Fri., Oct. 29 | 7-10 p.m | Smoky Park Supper Club, 350 Riverside Dr #3141 | $55 | Join this annual fundraising event with music, dinner, drinks, a silent and live auction, and stargazing.
Saturday, Oct. 30
- Bookwalter Binge Gran Fondo | Sat., Oct. 30 | 9 a.m. | 59 Commerce St., Old Fort | Free | The PUB has a variety of different routes to celebrate the professional cycling season coming to an end. 🚵♂️
- Pumpkin Pedaller ’21 | Sat., Oct. 30 | 3-5 p.m. | New Belgium Brewing Company, 21 Craven St. | Free | Join this annual costumed community ride.
- The 4th Annual Halloween Bar Crawl | Sat., Oct. 30 | 4-11 p.m. | Location TBD | $12+ | Enjoy a night with amazing local food, exclusive drink specials, a costume contest, and an after party.
- Big Gay Halloween Party | Sat., Oct. 30 | 10 a.m.-2 a.m. | Asheville Beauty Academy, 28 Broadway St. | Free | Join in on the Elvria Look Alike contest and dance the night away.
Sunday, Oct. 31
- Halloween Lore & Legends | Sun., Oct. 31 | 11 a.m-7 p.m. | Continuum Art, 147c 1st Ave E, Hendersonville | Free | Enjoy spooky music, snacks, cookie decorating, and masking making activities.
- Drag Show | Sun., Oct. 31 | 9 p.m. | Getaway River Bar, 790 Riverside Dr. | $8 | Enjoy performances by Nova Jynah, Glixch, Kashmir Kohl, and Calcutta where all drink special proceeds will go to BLM.
- Zombie Disco | Sun., Oct. 31 | 10 p.m.-2 a.m. | Asheville Beauty Academy, 28 Broadway St. | Free | Bust a move and show folks how the undead get down on the dance floor. 💃
- Halloween Mimosa Yoga | Sun., Oct. 31 | 10 p.m.-2 a.m. | Asheville Beauty Academy, 28 Broadway St. | Free | Beginners and advanced yogis alike are welcome at this Halloween-themed class, which features spooky music, a costume contest + candy. 🧘