Nov. 11 is Veterans Day, a time to commemorate the brave people who have fought to protect our country. In its honor, we’re not only highlighting a few events, but shining a light on some of the wonderful area orgs that support veterans.
To celebrate in person:
- The second annual Honor a Veteran event will be hosted by nonprofit Asheville Buncombe Community Christian Ministry on Nov. 11 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. The free BBQ lunch will take place at four locations across Buncombe, Henderson, Haywood + Madison counties. Pro tip: Learn more about how ABCCM supports veterans.
- At the Veterans Day Celebration in Burnsville’s Town Square, Mountain Piecemaker’s Quilt Guild will donate homemade quilts made specially for veterans from Madison, Mitchell + Yancey counties.
- Raise a glass at Hillman Beer’s Power in Pints series, which kicks off on Mon., Nov. 15. The event will take place from 11 a.m.-10 p.m. and raises funds for the McDowell American Legion Post 56.
To celebrate virtually:
- The City of Asheville will have a virtual Veterans Day Ceremony on Nov. 11. The ceremony will begin at 11 a.m. and includes speakers + readings from Veterans writing group Brothers and Sisters Like These. Tune in here. 🖥️
Check out these local orgs:
- Equinox Ranch | Located along a river in nearby Cullowhee, this 10-bedroom facility serves returned combat veterans through a free program that teaches verbal + nonverbal therapies to effectively treat PTSD. These include art, music, exercise, individual counseling, and peer support in an emotionally nurturing location surrounded by natural beauty.
- Veteran’s Healing Farm | This Hendersonville-based farm grows + donates fruits, vegetables, and flower bouquets to vets and their caregivers free of charge. It also encourages healthy habits like eating well, physical activity + building interpersonal relationships through gardening workshops, potluck dinners, and community events.