Today, we’re pitching an answer to the age-old, largely contested question — what is the best city in North Carolina and why? (Spoiler alert: it’s Asheville.)
Editor Brook here, and as a born + bred WNC native, I must say: Asheville is the bee’s knees and every other city in the state pales in comparison.
To show that I’m fair, I’ll start with some of the good things that other Tar Heel cities offer:
- Raleigh | Professional opportunities aplenty + a killer food scene.
- Greensboro | Quirky museums and important historic sites (like the International Civil Rights Center).
- Charlotte | Historical architecture and home to the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and the NBA’s Charlotte Hornets.
- Wilmington | Beaches and a hotspot for the movie/TV industry.
See? Totally impartial + totally willing to say that these cities are great — just not as great as ours. Now, why Asheville is the best:
- We are located in one of the most biodiverse spots on the globe.
- We are home to the Biltmore Estate, the largest private residence in the country.
- Asheville has been named the No. 1 Food Destination in the US.
- We have an incredible arts scene and are home to the Southern Highland Craft Guild, the second oldest craft organization in America.
- In that same vein, we have a mural featuring two legendary queens: Dolly Parton + RuPaul.
- There’s a reason we’re known as “Beer City, USA.” Asheville boasts the most breweries per capita in the US.
- Ready to retire? Asheville is considered the No. 1 spot in NC for retirees.
- Located in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, it’s pretty much scientifically impossible to not catch gorgeous vistas from any spot in the city.