Veterans Day, taking place on Saturday, Nov. 11, was established to honor and celebrate our country’s veterans. You can join in the commemoration and celebration of the holiday and of local service members at one of these Veterans Day events around Asheville.
- Veterans Day Observance | Friday, Nov. 10 | 11 a.m. | Weaverville Community Center, 60 Lakeshore Dr., Weaverville | Free | Listen to a word from Lt. Col. David Thorneloe and music from Howard and Kirsten Dusenbery as well as “Taps” and a rifle salute at this ceremony hosted by the Town of Weaverville.
- Honor a Veteran | Friday, Nov. 10 | 11:30 a.m. | Veterans Restoration Quarters, 1329 Tunnel Rd., Asheville | ACCBM will host Kevin Rumley, Director of Veterans Treatment Court Buncombe County, to speak, followed by the Color Guard, Honor Wall presentation, and lunch for veterans and their families.
- Veterans Day Ceremony | Saturday, Nov. 11 | 11 a.m. | Charles George VA Medical Center, 1100 Tunnel Rd., Asheville | Buncombe County will host the ceremony, including remarks from keynote speaker Warren Dupree and readings from the Brothers and Sisters Like These Veteran Writing Group.
- 6th Annual Western North Carolina Veterans Day Parade | Saturday, Nov. 11 | 2 p.m. | Along State Street, Black Mountain | Hosted by Black Mountain Salutes, the annual parade will feature groups like the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars, plus marching bands + bagpipes.
- “Veteran’s Battlefield” Screening | Thursday, Nov. 16 | 6 p.m. | Wortham Center for the Performing Arts, 18 Biltmore Ave., Asheville | This free screening will showcase the film that follows the struggles and stories of North Carolina’s veterans.
From now through Sunday, Nov. 12, you can also check out the illumination of the Buncombe County Health and Human Services building and the Buncombe County Courthouse as part of Operation Greenlight, highlighting the support and services for local veterans.
Resources for support
Speaking of support and services, these nonprofits and government entities offer aid to Buncombe County veterans.
- Buncombe County Veterans Services | Veterans, active duty service members, and their families can find services like healthcare, home loans, and life insurance.
- Veterans Healing Farm | This Hendersonville organization focuses on mental health, agritherapy, therapeutic activities, workshops, and live events.
- Unbroken Spirit | This new local charity offers a variety of free programs created by veterans to support veterans.
- Veterans Restoration Quarters | Asheville Buncombe Community Christian Ministry’s organization gives training, certification, and emergency, transitional, and some permanent housing.