Botany plants lately? If you’ve noticed gorgeous blooms abounding in Asheville right now and want some peonies, ranunculus, and pansies for yourself, we’ve made you a spring flower guide. From workshops on growing your own cutting garden, to spring plant sales, to places you can poppy-into any time, here’s five floral destinations around the 828.
🌷 Take a flower garden workshop with Blazing Star Flowers
- Spend the day touring a sustainable flower farm in Alexander and receive instructions on how to grow blooms of your own using low-till growing methods. You’ll walk away not only with flower knowledge (or shall we say, flower power?) but plants + seeds of your own to get started with. Register in advance for the workshop on Sat, May 7 from 2-4 p.m. Can’t make it? Pre-order organic seedlings for a cutting garden to pick up at the farm, or find Blazing Star Flowers at the East Asheville Tailgate Market Fridays 3-6 p.m.
🌷 Explore the Biltmore Blooms at Biltmore Estate
- Wander through flower-heavy gardens at the Biltmore including the Conservatory, Spring Garden, and Walled Garden — there’s 8,000 acres of gardens + grounds. Starting Sun., May 15, gardeners will plant the summer annuals — until then, you can enjoy spring blooms like pansies, snapdragons, and dianthus. Daytime admission starts at $86, with tours, dining, shopping, and art exhibits also on premises.
🌷 Shop the 2022 Spring Fling Plant Sale
- Head to The Interchange Building (59 Woodfin Pl.) on Sat., May 7 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. to shop roses from The Asheville Blue Ridge Rose Society + plants, herbs, and trees from Extension Master GardenerSM Volunteers of Buncombe County at the Spring Fling Plant Sale. Chat with expert rosarians on-site to learn which variety you should choose — there’ll be own-root, fragrant, miniature, and old garden roses for sale.
🌷 Browse the North Carolina Arboretum’s outdoor plant sale
- Turn your home into a mini arboretum with North Carolina Arboretum’s annual outdoor plant sale. You’ll find plants for sale grown in the greenhouse along with 20+ local growers (including our friends from Blazing Star Flowers). Think everything from houseplants to perennials to planters. The sale runs on Fri., May 27 and Sat., May 28 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m., with live music each day.
🌷 Stock up on bulbs + advice from Flourish Flower Farm
- For flower help at home, boutique Asheville flower farm Flourish Flower Farm has online classes, workshops, a blog, and even a how-to book by owner Niki Irving. To see her Insta-worthy blooms peeking out of your garden next spring, shop the online bulb shop — the farm will ship you ranunculus, tulips, narcissus, and many more varieties.