Traveling via plane is fun — jet-setting over beautiful blue waters or rolling hills, taking in cloud formations, and landing in a completely different location in a matter of hours is unlike anything else.
The whole navigating the airport part? Less exciting, and sometimes pretty stressful. To help make your time at the Asheville airport as smooth as possible, we’ve created a guide that covers everything from shuttles and parking to details on the airport’s 20+ nonstop flights.
What to know
- Peak hours | According to an Asheville Airport spokesperson, peak hours fluctuate depending on the flight schedule. This November, peak hours usually occur from 6-8 a.m., then again from 10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m. The airport does not track TSA wait times, but recommends arriving two hours before your flight to be safe.
- Map it out | If you’re like us and need to completely visualize a place before you step foot inside, this map of the entire airport will be your saving grace.
- Food and drink | The Blue Ridge Trading + Tavern serves breakfast biscuits, sandwiches, salads, and coffee drinks. There’s also Cinnabon and Auntie Anne’s pretzels available.
- Reminder | By May 7, 2025, you will need a REAL ID to board commercial flights in the US.
- Flight status | While we recommend staying updated via your respective airline, you can also check the airport’s dashboard for your flight status in a pinch.
Current airport updates
The Asheville airport is preparing to break ground on its biggest construction project in history. Over the next four years, the current airport will be demolished for a new, modernized terminal. Currently, a new central energy plant is being constructed and the first temporary gate space will appear this December.
Groundbreaking on the new airport will begin in early 2023. Airport spokesperson Tina Kinsey says “Passengers will be affected with continued congestion during peak travel times; however, construction will be phased so that we will always have the same number of gates and space for passengers that we have now during construction.”
In fall of 2024, a new north concourse will open with seven new gates, jet bridges, and concessions space.
Pro tip: The airport will launch an educational website about the project early next year, so folks can get regular updates about construction progress.
Parking, shuttles, and rideshares
Not everyone has a bestie who will drop everything to pick them up from their 3 a.m. landing. Luckily, there are several parking options.
- Hourly lot | $1/30 minutes with a $25 daily maximum
- Garage parking | $2/hour with $13 daily maximum and $78 weekly rate
- Daily lot | $2/hour with a $10 daily maximum and $60 weekly rate
- Shuttle lot | $2/hour with a $10 daily maximum and $60 weekly rate
Because the Asheville Airport only has one terminal, all of these parking options are within walking distance of TSA and your gate.
Hate the thought of driving yourself? Consider a rideshare, taxi service, or bus service that will take you to and from the terminal. These services are suggested by the Asheville Airport:
- AVL Taxi | Rideshare | This bike and pet-friendly ride service is locally owned and offers van rides that fit up to 14 passengers. Schedule a ride in advance.
- Uber | Rideshare | We recommend booking a ride an advance.
- Asheville ART Public Transit | Bus service | Check the S3 route map and schedule.
- Apple Country Public Transit | Bus service | Take this one if you need to head to Hendersonville.
See this map to locate the ground transportation pick-up area.
Asheville offers 20+ nonstop flights that primarily focus on locations in the Southeast, Northeast, and Midwest. Here are 5 nonstop flights to nearby locations.
Pro tip: Remember that flight times and schedules will often change — you should rely on your respective airline for exact timing and to stay updated on any changes.
- Atlanta, GA | Delta | Daily | Various times
- Boston, MA| Allegiant, American Airlines |Spring-fall, less-than-daily | Various times
- Clearwater-St. Pete, FL| Allegiant | Almost daily | Various times
- Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX | American Airlines | Year-round, daily | Various times
- LaGuardia Airport, New York City | Delta | Seasonal