Slip into your spandex because the inaugural Beer City Comic Con is fast approaching for a weekend of panel discussions, scintillating seminars, and out-of-this-world artwork. The convention is taking over Harrah’s Cherokee Center - Asheville from Saturday, Sept. 30 to Sunday, Oct. 1.
If you love all things comics, sci-fi, art, and pop culture, here’s a sneak peek of what’s to come:
💭 Things to know
- Tickets are available for individual days or the whole weekend, ranging from $30 to $50.
- Transform into your favorite character for the cosplay contest (but read the rules before registering online or in person).
- It wouldn’t be a comic con in the Beer City without local brews — Green Man Brewing’s Ninkasi’s Nectar, an IPA named after the convention’s mascot, will be on tap.
- You’ll have the chance to meet celebs like Laura Banks of “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” and Pokémon + Yu-Gi-Oh! voice actor Megan Hollingshead — find the full list of guests.
💥 Beyond the Con
If you can’t make it to the convention, don’t fret — there are still plenty of ways to join in the fun before the big weekend.
- Science of Supervillains | Wednesday, Sept. 27 | 7 p.m. | DSSOLVR, 63 N. Lexington Ave., Asheville | Free | This special edition of Project Mind Lab features chats about your favorite villains, an engineering challenge, and a chance to work with wire sculptures to help you improve your cosplay game.
- CONx | Friday, Sept. 29 | 3-6:30 p.m. | Harrah’s Cherokee Center - Asheville Banquet Hall, 87 Haywood St., Asheville | $24 | Hear from guests including comic book creators, psychologists, and philosophers during this lecture series.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) | Friday, Sept. 29-Saturday, Sept. 30 | 6:30-10 p.m. | Asheville Pizza & Brewing Co., 675 Merrimon Ave., Asheville | $15-$20 | View the original live action film followed by a special Q+A with screenwriter Todd Langen — plus, animated series voice actors Wayne Grayson and Marc Thompson will join for the second showing.
Marvel at more of Beer City Comic Con’s satellite events.