Table of Contents
Looking to make or meet your New Year’s resolution? From cooking more to carving out space for creativity, check out our local recommendations below.
Cook more meals at home
- Sharpen your cooking craft with classes at Asheville Mountain Kitchen — or take your knowledge of protein to the next level with a butchery class at The Chop Shop.
- Take note of these nine farmers markets that stay open through winter and allow goods like fresh pasta, preserved lemons, and artisan goat cheese to inspire you in the kitchen.
- Sign up for a CSA share from one of the area’s many incredible farms — because nothing puts your feet to the cooking fire like a box of beautiful, farm-fresh produce.
Nurture your creativity
- Get engaged with Asheville’s expansive arts community at Story Parlor. The cooperative arts space offers classes, workshops, and great storytelling events.
- Try your hand at sewing + fashion design at one of Arteries Mobile Boutique’s group sewing classes.
- Learn how to make your own ring, charm, or fused glass pendant with one of these River Arts Districts workshops or explore the wide world of crafts with a blacksmithing, beadwork, or basketry class at John C. Campbell Folk School.
Update your wardrobe
- You don’t always need to buy new to feel new — sign up for the AVL Clothing Swap email list to stay in the loop on future clothing swaps.
- There’s also an array of stylish thrift, vintage + consignment stores to explore in our city, including Enchanted Forrest, Clothes Encounters, Revolve, Honeypot, Second Gear, and House of Kismet.
Start a new sport
- We know everyone’s been talking nonstop about pickleball as a fun, low-impact sport (which is totally true) — but if that’s not your speed, you could also give the French yard game pétanque a go.
- Another great way to get moving? Disc golf. Fun fact: Highland Brewery’s disc golf course has been ranked as one the top 10 brewery courses in the nation.
- For more of a “college intramural team” feel, check out Asheville Sports & Social Club for sports like kickball, dodgeball, volleyball, and bowling.