We’re continuing our city series with a side of town that’s over 100 years old — North Asheville.
If you enjoy historic buildings, scenic strolls, and neighborhood joints, then the north side might be right up your alley. Here are our reader-sourced recommendations of where to eat, drink, and explore.
Pssst, when we say North Asheville, we’re talking everything north of downtown Asheville and south of Woodfin, which includes the Five Points neighborhood, historic Montford, Charlotte St. corridor, and most of Merrimon Ave.
Omni Grove Park Inn | 290 Macon Ave.
- Highlights of this huge, historic resort include an award-winning spa and grandiose mountain views that make for a perfect cocktail or dinner locale.
Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary | 1056 Merrimon Ave.
- An 8-acre wetland with nature trails + boardwalks that are particularly lovely just before sunset. Pro tip: The sanctuary hosts bird walks on the first Saturday of every month.
Riverside Cemetery | 53 Birch St.
- Wander among 87 acres of rolling hills, gardens, and tombs that date back to 1885.
North Asheville Tailgate Market | 3300 University Heights
- This weekly farmers market has been running since 1980, and offers a splendid variety of vendors (think: cheese, baked items, veggies, meat, and artisan goods) every Saturday morning, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. from April through late November.
Le Bon Cafe | 425 Broadway St.
- This walk-up + drive-thru coffee hut is a perfect pitstop for lattes and OWL Bakery pastries while you stroll the Reed Creek Greenway.
High Five Coffee | 190 Broadway St.
- Snag a truly excellent cup of joe from one of High Five’s three Asheville locations.
City Bakery | 88 Charlotte St.
- Come for the caffeine, stay for the housemade bread, pastries, and bangin’ lunch + breakfast sandwiches.
Liberty House Coffee and Cafe | 221 S. Liberty St.
- This farm-to-table spot serves up legendary sourdough pancakes, luscious lattes + other brunch specialties.
Montford Deli | 231 Montford Ave.
- Unpretentious, affordable sandwiches + other deli delights tucked inside a bodega. Pro tip: Enjoy your to-go order down the road at the beautiful Montford Park.
Vinnie’s Italian | 641 Merrimon Ave.
- This neighborhood staple dishes out “old school '' Italian cuisine reminiscent of Brooklyn and Boston’s North End. We especially love the carbonara and eggplant parmesan.
Homegrown Asheville | 371 Merrimon Ave.
- Home to one of the best fried chicken sandwiches in town.
Luella’s BBQ | 501 Merrimon Ave.
- This casual eatery offers a full menu of southern barbecue classics like brisket, deviled eggs, and a droolworthy chopped-pork sandwich.
Nine Mile | 233 Montford Ave.
- Caribbean-inspired, vegetarian-friendly cuisine jam packed with flavor.
Jettie Rae’s | 143 Charlotte St.
- A top-notch, neighborhood seafood joint that specializes in oysters.
Plant | 165 Merrimon Ave.
- Uber creative + posh vegan food.
Taco Temple | 132 Charlotte St.
- These authentic + delectable tacos are available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Don’t sleep on the margaritas.
Cocktails + brews:
Little Jumbo | 241 Broadway St.
- A warmly lit + stylish neighborhood bar with impeccable cocktails. Pro tip: There’s live jazz every Monday evening from 7-10 p.m.
Archetype Brewing | 174 Broadway St.
- A cozy spot to enjoy complex + experimental craft brews. Plus, locals can nab $4 brews on Wednesday night.
To satisfy your sweet tooth:
Ultimate Ice Cream | 195 Charlotte St.
- Our favorite flavor is goat cheese bing cherry.
Geraldine’s Bakery | 840 Merrimon Ave.
- A classic NY-style, no frills counter-service shop with magnificent pastries + breakfast sandwiches.
The Hop Ice Cream Cafe | 640 Merrimon Ave.
- Traditional, vegan, and gluten-free ice cream done right.