We’re continuing our city series with a guide to South Asheville — a side of town that features ample dining options, an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Mountains to Sea Trail, and plenty of places to get your shop on.
Pssst, when we say South Asheville, we’re talking everything south of the Biltmore Estate and the Biltmore Village area — don’t worry, we’ll do a separate guild for this area, too.
South Asheville includes neighborhoods like Biltmore Park, Avery Creek, and Royal Pines. The zip code that represents South Asheville is 28803 — although it is highly contested that 28704 and 28732 are also considered part of South Asheville.
Asheville Outlets | 800 Brevard Rd.
- Who’s ready for a shopping day? The Asheville Outlets features popular stores like Coach Outlet, Kirkland’s, Levi’s, RH Outlet, and Nike Factory Store — need we say more?
NC Arboretum | 100 Frederick Law Olmsted Way
- A 434-acre public garden that offers exhibits of wildflowers, bonsai trees, and pollinator landscapes, as well as hiking and biking trails. Admission is free + parking is $16 for nonmembers.
Biltmore Park Town Square | One Town Square Blvd.
- This South Asheville staple is a destination in and of itself. It features dining options like Thirsty Monk + Fork Lore, entertainment from the Regal Biltmore Grande Theater, and shopping from REI, Orvis, Athleta, and more.
Bent Creek Experimental Forest |1577 Brevard Rd.
- Home to miles of hiking and biking trails + the Lake Powhatan Recreation Area and Campground — this heavily forested area is an outdoor lover’s dream.
Round Earth Coffee Roasters | 518 Hendersonville Rd.
- Sit down with a cup o’ joe or use this shop’s drive-thru for a quick latte on the go. Plus, Round Earth sources coffee beans from around the globe. And all food + drinks are prepared in-house.
Sweeten Creek Coffee | 330 Sweeten Creek Rd.
- This charming café offers coffee drinks galore + breakfast and lunch items. Pro tip: Try the chicken pot pie if you happen to be there for lunch.
Nine Mile South | 33 Town Square Blvd.
- This newer Nile Mile location serves up the same Caribbean-inspired fare that you have come to know and love via the establishment’s other two Asheville locations. It goes without saying that ordering extra Natty bread is a must.
Abeja’s House Cafe | 1550 Hendersonville Rd.
- This quaint café is one of South Asheville’s best kept secrets — there’s always parking, the service is out-of-this-world amazing, and the food is delicious. Plus, Abeja’s makes it a priority to serve dishes that explore Latin culture with fresh and healthy ingredients. Pro tip: Try the Huevos Rancheros and the French toast— you will not be disappointed.
Holy Water Brew Pub | 20 Gala Dr.
- This is another one of South Asheville’s hidden gems. Holy Water is the brainchild of Barry Bialik, owner of Asheville staples Thirsty Monk and Top of the Monk. The brew pub serves up small-batch hard seltzer + fresh sushi. DYK Barry also owns Tasty Greens (2 Town Square Blvd.), a BYO salad bar also in South Asheville?
Wild Ginger | 1950 Hendersonville Rd.
- This noodle bar offers authentic pho, banh mis, rice dishes + more. We can’t choose just one item on the menu that is our favorite, so we’ll give you three to try next time you’re there — the Veggie pho, Miso Glazed Salmon, and the Tanghon.
Rocky’s Hot Chicken Shack | 3749 Sweeten Creek Rd., Arden
- Nashville-style hot chicken, mac and cheese, fried okra, potato salad, and sweet potato casserole. Is your mouth watering yet? Rocky’s has that effect. All we can say is — if you haven’t tried it yet, get there.
Sweet Plantain Grill | 2317 Hendersonville Rd., Arden
- This food truck serves up authentic Latin and Caribbean fare including Cuban sandwiches, rice bowls, sweet plantains, and yuca fries. Thanks to @waysidewayfarer who recommended this one to us on Instagram.
Cocktails + brews:
Post 25 Kitchen & Lounge | 2155 Hendersonville Rd., Arden
- Sister restaurant to East Asheville’s Post 70 Kitchen & Lounge, Post 25 serves up American cuisine like pizza, wings, and burgers, plus craft cocktails to boot. Pro tip: Try the Grouper Reuben + the Lucy, I’m Home cocktail featuring vodka, Aperol, lemon, and sugar.
Sweeten Creek Brewing | 1127 Sweeten Creek Rd.
- This lively brewery has weekly events like an open mic night on Tuesdays, trivia on Wednesdays, and live music on Fridays. Be sure to try the seasonal Summer Sun Belgian Style Wit if it’s available.
To satisfy your sweet tooth:
Baked Pie Company | 4 Long Shoals Rd., Arden
- Homemade pies just like your grandma used to make. Order a whole pie to take home to the family or try a pie flight in Baked Pie’s nostalgic dining room.
Whit’s Frozen Custard | 1840 Hendersonville Rd.
- We will never say no to a Blue Ridge Madness Whitser with Reese’s cups, chocolate syrup, and peanut butter. Pro tip: Check out the daily flavor calendar to see a list of up-to-date specials.