The elegant + historic S&W Market, Asheville’s first-ever food hall, will *finally* open its doors to the public for the first time on Wed., June 16, and we are practically jumping out of our seats with excitement.
The new endeavor, a collaboration between five-time James Beard nominee Meherwan Irani and The Ellington Realty Group, features an impressive collection of independent restaurants, several watering holes + an event space, which we’ll break down in more detail below.
And for those who may be unfamiliar, the iconic building — designed + built by renowned architect Douglas Ellington in 1928 — has a rich history, and is one of Asheville’s finest examples of the Art Deco movement. (Read more about that in #TBT: The S&W Cafeteria)
And today, you better grab your shades because the future’s looking bright for this newly reimagined, beloved building — and we’re bringing you a sneak peek. Here are the highlights of the space, and what you can expect to see on the menu.
- 10,000 sqft between the mezzanine + main floor space
- An additional 5,000 sqft in S&W’s new event space, Circa 29
- 165 indoor seats, 40 outdoor seats, plus standing tables for 20
- Highland Brewing Company — Asheville’s oldest brewery will finally be downtown (again), with 18 taps, 2 bars + a merchandise stand.
- The Times Bar & Coffee Shop — Creative, seasonal craft cocktails + coffee, located adjacent to the main space.
- Bun Intended — The first brick-and-mortar location from this Thai street food truck, features hits like pork belly bao, spicy curry, fried rice + seasonal skewers.
- Buxton Chicken Palace — Bourbon and Cheerwine slushies, fried chicken sandwiches + waffle fries brought to you by Buxton Hall BBQ’s Chef Elliott Moss + Meherwan Irani.
- Farm Dogs: Creatively-topped hot dogs + sausages from the same folks who brought us Farm Burger.
- Hop Ice Cream: This local establishment, aka the holy grail of dairy + vegan ice cream, milkshakes, sundaes, etc., is finally coming downtown.
- Peace, Love Tacos: Tacos, nachos, street corn + margaritas from the folks behind Mountain Madre Mexican Kitchen & Agave Bar.