While we love soup year round, today — Friday, March 3 — is an apt time to enjoy a steaming serving, as it’s National Soup It Forward Day. Get bowled over by this luscious chestnut soup, courtesy of Asheville Mountain Kitchen, and be sure to share it with your loved ones.
- 1 onion or leek, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped into large pieces
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 jar (5 oz. or greater) of cooked chestnuts (available at retailers including Ingles, Whole Foods, and Wal-Mart)
Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Add a bit of cooking oil to the pan. Add the vegetables and sauté for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are reduced.
Add chestnuts to the reduced vegetables. Add enough water or vegetable broth to cover them. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend mixture until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with sliced almonds.