A new steakhouse is coming to the historic Grove Arcade. Open since 1929, the Art Deco-style shopping mecca features dozens of galleries, specialty shops, + restaurants. Come next year, it will also house Asheville Proper, a steakhouse helmed by Chef Owen McGlynn (formerly of Storm Rhum Bar).
○ Previously, Chef McGlynn served as the executive chef of Storm Rhum Bar and Bistro for eight years. Prior to that, he spent 12 years as the sous chef at High Cotton in Charleston + Greenville, South Carolina.
○ Asheville Proper will serve meat and seafood, sourced from local and regional producers + fishmongers like Apple Brandy Beef, Brasstown Beef, Hickory Nut Gap, and Abundant Seafood.
○ The restaurant will feature a live-fire cooking concept inside an open kitchen, meaning food will be cooked over custom grills atop wood-fueled flames where diners can see and hear the culinary action.
○ A la carte items will include New York strips, double-cut pork chops, cowboy ribeyes, and large-format steaks. Sides + small plates will include flamed Brussels sprouts and mashed fingerlings and embered squash soup and charred pickled shrimp.
○ According to Owen, he wants to share how delicious + fun the art form of cooking over a flame is with the people of Asheville.
We can hardly wait to find out. 🥩