Good morning, Asheville. Editor Ali here. ICYMI, I’m in store for some big changes. I’ll be stepping away from work soon for maternity leave, and when I come back, I’ll be in a new role at 6AM City (AVLtoday’s parent company) – Culture and Team Development Leader, a position that includes work in leadership + strategy, mentorship, and diversity, equity + inclusion. 👏
So, we’re looking to fill my job as Editor of AVLtoday – a position I’ve been honored to hold since we launched in Feb. 2018 – with a locally-based multimedia storyteller who’s fired up about all things Asheville. It’s a fast-paced, exciting job that includes both newsletter creation and our social media. Oh, and you’ll have the best co-editor ever – Brook Bolen.
You might be a good fit if –
- You know Asheville like the back of your hand, from current City Council meeting topics to the buzziest restaurant openings.
- You’re engaged on social media, and always ready to try new things.
- You’re excited to dig into topics ranging from civic and development to food + bev, history, and the great outdoors.
- You love to write. You’ll be doing a lot of it.
- You’re a team player, and you see feedback as a gift.
- You think on your feet and work fast, but diligently.
You’ll get more details about the job here, but I wanted to share the top five things I’ve loved about being an AVLtoday Editor –
- The community. Our Asheville-based team, the 6AM City ecosystem, our local partners, and, most importantly, you – our readers. I wake up excited every morning to find out what you’re curious about. Answering your thoughtful emails is a highlight of my day.
- The stories. Some of the hyperlocal topics I’ve written about include the French Broad River’s short-lived steamboat, Black-owned businesses, a comprehensive election guide, a holiday cookbook, regional broadband access, a birding guide, the 411 on pickleball, and, of course, a roundup of sinkhole memes (never forget).
- Growing our social media. Over 50,000 of you follow us across Instagram, Facebook + Twitter. I’ve loved innovating in this space, which always challenges my creativity (see: our holiday TikTok dance 😂).
- The workflow. We produce a lot of content every day. But we also have it down to a science.
- Our company culture + values. Our five values – Responding with Agility, Leveraging Engagement to Achieve Synergy, Listening with Intentional Curiosity, Acting Like an Owner by Delivering Solutions that Move Us All Forward, and Pride in Place – are more than buzzwords. They underpin everything we do. If you’re the next Editor, you’ll learn all about them through our Mentorship Program.
Ready for your dream job? Click here to apply.