Last week, we asked you how soon you’d feel safe getting back to life as restrictions lift, and over 1,400 of you responded to give us your feelings on returning to the office, restaurants, indoor + outdoor events, vacation planning.
Today, as NC slowly continues to reopen, we’re breaking down the data – and including some of your feedback on how we can continue to reopen safely + where you’ll be heading first. Thanks again to The Hustle for providing the original inspo for our poll.
Here’s what you shared.
- Masks might make all the difference. The number one response to how businesses could make customers feel safe – mentioned over 600 times – was to require people to wear one. DYK: Buncombe County’s new policy requires masks in businesses beginning tomorrow, and NC laws are currently being revised to allow + encourage masks officially in public.
- You’re missing local businesses the most. Reader L. Jackson shared “If we had a handle on this, and I felt safe, I think the business that I would be most excited to visit would be cocktails at Sovereign Remedies, seeing all the beautiful things at East Fork Pottery, and then dinner at Cúrate.”
- You’re ready for a road trip. 31% of you feel like you could take a local or regional vacay right now. But 74% of you are planning to wait at least a year to travel internationally.
- 23% of you could go back to work in an office now. Another 41% could be ok with it in one to six months.
- You’re on the fence about eating in restaurants or catching a flick on the big screen. Only 18% of you would go out to eat or see a movie right now, with another 35% in the next six months.
- You’re waiting a while longer on large events. 31% want to wait until next year for an outdoor show, and 61% of you wouldn’t feel comfortable at an indoor event until at least a year from now.
Check out the full results breakdown here. ⬇️
Here’s what else we learned.
Over 200 of you mentioned getting a vaccine + doing more testing as factors that will make you feel safe – and some of you said that you don’t plan to do much until those are in place.
And y’all miss plenty of other things too – including live theater, volunteering + more. We’re on the same page, guys.
While some of you are ready to get out and about now, others are opting to wait – and most want to strike a balance between the two. Michael W. wants to “be careful and cautious, but not ridiculous about it.” And NM says, “GO SLOW. I would rather this take longer and we do things with intelligence and caution than have to roll back to square one again in just a few months.”
Want to know how other cities around the Southeast answered our poll? Keep reading to see responses from our sister markets in Asheville, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Chattanooga, and Lakeland – 7,673 in total. ⬇️
When will you feel ready to return to work in an office?
When will you feel ready to eat at restaurants or go to a movie?
When will you feel ready to send kids to camp or daycare?
When will you feel ready to attend an outdoor concert or event?
When will you feel ready to attend an indoor concert or event?
When will you feel ready to take a road trip?