Table of Contents
Have you ever considered hiking the whole state of NC? Did you even know it was possible? The Mountains-to-Sea Trail, a 1,175-mile footpath, can take you all the way — from Clingmans Dome (aka Kuwohi) in the Great Smoky Mountains to Jockey’s Ridge on the Outer Banks. And this legendary trail has a pretty exciting birthday coming up.
In honor of the MST’s 45th anniversary (read: the month the idea was first suggested) the Friends of the MST have announced a few fun, outdoorsy ways to celebrate. Here’s how you can participate:
Join a guided birthday hike
- Les Love, an experienced naturalist + guidebook author, will lead a leisurely three mile hike on Sat., Sept. 10 at 9 a.m. It will start at the Greybeard Overlook (Blue Ridge Parkway milepost 363.4) and lead to views at Lunch Rock. Register to attend.
- There’s also many other hikes — though no others in the 828 — happening across the state on Thurs., Sept. 8-Sat., Sept. 10. See the full list of hikes.
Participate in the 45 Mile Challenge
- It’s as simple as it sounds. Hike 45 miles on the MST + submit your mileage log by Sept. 30 for a chance to win prizes. Pro tip: Check out these guides to learn more about the lay of the land.
Attend a virtual party
- Hear from special guests Howard Lee, NC Director of State Parks Dwayne Patterson, plus filmmakers + podcasters Julie “Jester Gayheart” and Austin DuFresne while celebrating the trail at this Zoom party, which kicks off Sept. 9 at 6:30 p.m. Register to attend.
Make a donation
- Anyone who gives a gift of $45 or more during September will receive special MST buttons. People who raise $450 or more through peer-to-peer fundraising will receive a personalized pottery mug. Get more deets.