Whether you’re an animal lover, an outdoorsy type, a Veteran supporter, or a holiday enthusiast, there’s a nearby volunteer opportunity for you. Here are 30+ local organizations to show a little love to this holiday season:
🦃 If the holidays are your favorite time of the year:
- The United Way I Donate a book to local students during the org’s Holiday Book Drive by purchasing online or in store at Barnes + Noble (3 S. Tunnel Rd.)
- The Salvation Army | Adopt an Angel and a local child or senior will have a gift to open on Christmas morning.
- Toys For Tots I Bring the joy of the holidays to children by donating gifts virtually or in person at a local toy drop location.
- MANNA FoodBank I Donate or volunteer to help feed local families in need.
🇺🇲 Supporters of Veterans `
- ABCCM | Support its Veterans Restoration Quarters.
- Aura Home Women Veterans | Deliver goods, mentor, fundraise, and more at this home for female veterans.
- Warrior Canine Connection I Volunteer to work in the kennel — or as a puppy parent, sitter, whelper, or washer — for this org that trains pups to become service dogs for veterans.
🌳 The outdoorsy types
- Asheville Greenworks I Remove litter from creeks + roadsides, help with recycling events, and build bee habitats.
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy I Help maintain the iconic footpath.
- RiverLink I Promote the environmental + economic vitality of the French Broad River.
- Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy I Assist with area cleanups and more.
- Bountiful Cities | Volunteer in a local community garden to help provide more long term food access to everyone in our community. No experience necessary.
🍎 Natural-born teachers + mentors
- Asheville City Schools | Offer tutorial help, staff libraries, assist teachers and the clerical staff
- Literacy Council of Buncombe Co. | Help teach adult literacy, youth literacy, + English for Speakers of Other Languages.
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Western North Carolina I Become a “big” to a “little” to help empower local youth.
💙 If you want to be there for abuse victims
- Our VOICE I Donate clothing, toiletries + other materials for victims of sexual violence (volunteering is currently suspended due to COVID-19).
- My Sister’s Attic I Assist in its thrift shop, sponsor a child or client, help with seasonal chores + more.
♿ If you have a passion for disabled community members
- DisAbility Partners, opportunities coming soon.
- FIRST of WNC I Support its mission for supportive programs + advocacy for persons with disabilities + their families.
💚 Advocates of mental illness + health awareness
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) of Western North Carolina I Support the org with administrative assistance, the helpline + more.
- Vaya Health I Take a class so you can be a better advocate.
- Take a class from Vaya Health so you can be a better mental health advocate.
🎨 The artsy types
- Arts for Life I Be a volunteer teacher (additional volunteer opps currently suspended due to COVID-19)
- Asheville Art Museum I Greet visitors, assist docents, work in the gift shop + more.
💉 If you’re interested in healthcare
- Mission Hospital’s Junior Volunteer Program I Students 14-18 can develop career skills.
- Paws on a Mission, Pet Therapy I Bring joy to the floors of Mission Hospital.
🐶 If you’re an animal lover
- Help shelter animals feel loved through Asheville Humane Society, Brother Wolf Animal Rescue, Charlie’s Angels Animal Rescue or Mountain Pet Rescue
- Support the WNC Nature Center’s mission to connect people with the animals + plants of our region
- Help love + care for the 50+ rescued farm animals at Wild Heart Farm Sanctuary.
- Find more animal orgs to support here.
If you’re passionate about supporting local minority groups
- Color of Asheville, a network celebrating Asheville’s African American community
- Campaign for Southern Equality + create equality for LGBTQ+ southerners
DIFFERENT WRLD I Support this BIPOC-owned business focused on providing space and tools for amplifying marginalized voices within the arts community.
🍍 If you live + breathe Asheville
- Preservation Society of Asheville + Buncombe Co. I Help out with everything from writing and editing to photography and event planning.
- Asheville Strong I Support this nonprofit that helps local independent businesses in crisis by providing resources + relief programs.
📚 Self-proclaimed bibliophiles
- Buncombe Co. library I Help out at your local branch.
- POP Project I Drop off gently-used books at area drop locations.
🦋 The social butterflies
- Junior League of Asheville I Become a civic leader.
- Hands-On Asheville-Buncombe I Support the local nonprofit community.
🔨 The handymen + women
- Habitat for Humanity I Help build homes for the community.
- Western Carolina Rescue Ministry Rescue Mission Thrift Store I Donate furniture.