By Camille Nevarez-Hernandez
Want to enjoy yourself without being too cold during these frosty months? We’ve got a fresh list of cafes, drinking holes + restaurants with outdoor seating and heaters. We recommend saving this page for the next time it’s on you to pick the hangout spot.
- Liberty House, 221 S. Liberty St. | A farm-to-table brunch spot with ample outdoor seating + heaters sprinkled around to keep you warm.
- Yellow Mug, 113 N. Main St., Weaverville | This aptly-named yellow cafe has plenty of outdoor seating with a cozy fireplace, plus a wide range of coffee drinks and hefty sandwiches.
- Sunny Point Cafe | 626 Haywood Rd. | This AVL fave offers a covered patio seating + top-notch all-day breakfast food – our favorite dish is the huevos rancheros.
Bars + Breweries
- Wedge at Wedge Studio, 37 Paynes Way, St. 1 | This local brewery offers expansive outdoor seating + a variety of local brews (think: sours and ales), plus local food trucks that stop by regularly.
- Bottle Riot, 37 Paynes Way | Drink in a wide selection of wine with open-air outdoor seating + heaters — just remember your proof of vaccination.
- The Whale, 507 Haywood Rd. | Enjoy draft beers + wine on this open-air patio with picnic tables and heaters. And if you get hungry: Haywood Common is right next door.
- Capella on 9, 10 Broadway St. | Get a great view of the city while cozied up next to the heaters at this rooftop bar which offers small plates, craft beer + cocktails.
- Zillicoah Beer, 870 Riverside Dr. | Enjoy plenty of outdoor, riverside seating + a few fire pits at this local brewery. And don’t forget to grab a taco (or three) from the Taqueria Munoz food truck.
- Black Mountain Brewing, 131 NC-9, Black Mountain | Sip local suds on this open-air back patio.
- 131 Main, 308 Thetford St. |This open-air patio offers heaters, as well as an adjacent firepit to keep outdoor diners toasty while dishing out Americana classics from its hickory wood fire grill.
- All Souls Pizza, 175 Clingman Ave. Eat a gourmet, farm-to-table pizza while dining on its outdoor patio — but make sure to bring your proof of vaccination.
- Avenue M, 791 Merrimon Ave. | Embrace warm and comfy vibes with classic comfort food on an enclosed brick patio. Reservations preferred.
- Copper Crown, 1011 Tunnel Rd. #100 | Enjoy a fun array of Southern, Italian + Cajun food on an open-air patio with plastic drop downs. Reservations strongly encouraged.
- Cornerstone, 102 Tunnel Rd. | In addition to having heaters + a large stone fireplace, this authentic Greek restaurant offers an open-air patio that can become enclosed by dropping down insulated vinyl curtains.
- Fig Bistro, 18 Brook St. #101 | Grab a bistro-style lunch in the courtyard patio that’s furnished with standing heaters.
- Green Tea Sushi, 2 Regent Park Blvd. | With the expansion of its outdoor table service and heat lamps on its front patio, this Japanese restaurant is a perfect place for sushi, chow mein, lo mein, fried rice, and beyond.
- Ivory Road Café & Kitchen, 1854 Brevard Rd., Arden | Heaters make its cozy, open-air back patio even more welcoming for a pleasant breakfast or lunch. We recommend getting a wrap or panini.
- Jettie Rae’s Oyster House, 143 Charlotte St. | Its patio, encased in a vinyl tent, offers multiple heaters so you can toss back oysters + other seafood-forward dishes with ease.
- Leo’s House of Thirst, 1055 Haywood Rd. | The covered patio + picnic table area offer heaters so you can enjoy a plethora of wine + creative, farm-fresh small plates.
- Mountain Madre, 13 W. Walnut St. | This downtown Mexican restaurant offers both rain cover + heaters for outdoor diners. Pro tip: order the margarita — or really anything from the agave bar.
- Rocky’s Hot Chicken Shack, 1455 Patton Ave. + 3749 Sweeten Creek Rd. | Both the West Asheville and SouthAsheville locations offer drop down vinyl enclosures — so your hot chicken stays hot.
- Rye Knot, 868 Merrimon Ave. | This American restaurant, brewery, and distillery has abundant outdoor seating + heaters.
- The Lobster Trap, 35 Patton Ave. | In addition to the partitions added to its sidewalk patio space, this downtown seafood spot has also incorporated heaters for outdoor diners.
- Ukiah, 121 Biltmore Ave. | This Japanese smokehouse has patio seating with heaters for dining.
- Vivian, 348 Depot St. | Its patio, encased in a vinyl tent, offers multiple heaters along with stellar Southern + European-influenced dishes like smoked duck, deviled eggs + scallop quenelle.
- Vinnie’s Italian, 641 Merrimon Ave. | Enjoy saucy favorites on a warm + vibrant heated patio.
Are there any eateries with heat for outdoor diners that we missed? Please let us know in the comments below. 👇