How to join a Buncombe County board or commission

Use your unique perspective to help improve our community by joining a county board or commission.

Buncombe County Administration building

Volunteer your perspective to our county government.

Photo via Buncombe County Government

Table of Contents

Earlier this year, we gave you the rundown on how to join a City of Asheville board or commission. But for civically engaged citizens looking to broaden their involvement, we’re telling you everything you need to know about joining a Buncombe County board or commission.

Whether you’re looking to work with the environment, oversee development, or offer help in health services, there’s an opportunity to make your voice heard.

Who’s eligible?

First things first — you must be a Buncombe County resident to serve on any of the boards, commissions, or committees.

Keep in mind that certain boards are searching for applicants with specific qualifications. For example, the county is searching for a dentist to serve on the Health and Human Services Board. Any requirements necessary will be stated in the vacancy description.

Current vacancies

Buncombe County boasts 40+ boards and commissions, with 11 currently experiencing vacancies including The Nursing Home Community Advisory Committee, Civic Center Commission, and Home and Community Care Block Grant Advisory Committee, just to name a few. Find the full list of vacant positions.

How to apply

You can easily apply by filling out the online application. You can also print out the paper application and return the completed form to the Clerk to the Board of Commissioners, located at 200 College Street, Ste. 316.

The selection process takes into account the applicant’s residency information, employment, experience + interest, and goals in the position.